Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 82

JW49, BryanGMeadows, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Magazine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Anyone know what Magazine this Ad showed up in?
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990289237970.cgi?fullimageflag=1&imagenumber=3&itemid=9990521128454&categoryid=9970476826246

Believe '33 was the first use of color photo for PACKARD.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 15:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Magazine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Don't know, but its a great ad. "A feather touch is all that's needed to bring the car to a stop!"

Posted on: 2018/11/21 18:34
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Fortune magazine has color advertisements for Packards into the 1940's. Most every luxury carmaker as well as lower-priced makes advertised in Fortune. Depression notwithstanding, it still reached an affluent audience.

Stev

Posted on: 2018/11/21 18:51
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Did you look in Packard Advertisements in the Packard Photo Archive? Almost 500 advertisements there.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 19:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What a gorgeous picture and ad. I don't recall ever seeing that one before.

I've no issue with the claim about a feather touch on the brakes, it's close to reality - these cars have exceptional brakes, power-boosted mechanicals. But the claim of near silence from the engine at 80+ mph, a claim also made by the British magazine The Autocar when roadtesting a 1934 1100, strikes me as a bit of hyperbole. On those rare occasions that I've had my 1100 up to 60 or 65 mph, its more than the rush of wind that I hear.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I checked Appendix IV "Catalogue of Advertisements" in Kimes. It is possible this is part of a two page ad featuring an 8 club sedan, a Super 8 coupe roadster, and a 12 limousine that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post on 9/9/33 and Time on 9/11/33. If not, this particular ad is not referenced in Kimes.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 19:31
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
One of the -> original photographs, obviously taken in a series is part of the Collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The backside inscription reads "Packard 1258 // December 1932".
Its photographer -> Edward Steichen was called the "patriarch of photography"; according to MoMa he was "a major figure in the evolution of American photography". In the 1930s Edward Steichen worked as chief photographer for the mass media company -> Cond? Nast, the owner of Vanity Fair, Vogue and a couple of other glossy magazines.
The Packard ad is mentioned in -> The Museum of Modern Art Archives.

Quote:
...Fortune magazine has color advertisements for Packards into the 1940's. Most every luxury carmaker as well as lower-priced makes advertised in Fortune...

Steve (58L8134) seems to be on the right track. Mid 30s Packard ads, photographed by Edward Steichen and published in Fortune can be found -> there, -> there and -> there.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.76 KB)
757_5bf64dc5eb376.jpg 500X288 px

Posted on: 2018/11/22 1:25
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2018/11/22 10:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved