Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1956 Packard Caribbean
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ric
See User information
Putting back this 1956 Packard Caribbean back together , 374 -2 - 4's ,wondering if anyone has pics of the engine compartment, wiring routing, hose routing, power steering, new to Packards and just want to make it simple as I can,thanks any help will be appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 22:51
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Packard Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ric wrote:
Putting back this 1956 Packard Caribbean back together , 374 -2 - 4's ,wondering if anyone has pics of the engine compartment, wiring routing, hose routing, power steering, new to Packards and just want to make it simple as I can,thanks any help will be appreciated.

Let's see some photos of what you have. Several here who can guide you in this effort. What number is it?

Posted on: 2018/12/12 23:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ric
See User information
What number is it?
????? I get some pics tomorrow... thanks

Posted on: 2018/12/13 0:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you select the Photo Archive on the left menu and then 1956, there are some Caribbean engine compt photos. Page 1 and 2 each contains one photo and there are one or two others on the later pages. Several photos of the single carb engines are also shown thruout the archive and with exception of the Caribbean dual carb setup the rest of the engine compt will be the same for all models. Optional equipment might make a difference in placement of some items -- most visible was the WS washer jar. If your car has the PB electric shift, those relays were placed on the L inner fender and the bottle was moved to the space under the right fender and mounted on the side of the firewall.

Also look thru the 1955 photos for engine compt photos as the engine compt will be almost the same. The most visible exceptions are all due to electrical. The power window relay is vertical on the firewall in 55 instead of horizontal on the upper sheetmetal ledge just under the hood in 56. There was no electric shift in 55 so the WS washer jar is on the L inner fender near the battery and the 55 TL solenoids are under the car instead of being mounted under the L fender in the space near the brake vacuum reserve canister where they were in 56.

You might also look thru this thread on a 56 400 with dual carbs but without the electric shift.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=63102#forumpost63102 This poster started out with an engine compt that had collected some errors over the years and went about correcting them. Thruout the thread but mostly starting midway around page 10 or so are photos showing corrections as they are done back to factory spec.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ric,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '56 Caribbean in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 15:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ric
See User information
Here are some pics...

Attach file:

jpg  (302.90 KB)
187163_5c12f1c174b14.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (290.70 KB)
187163_5c12f1d1ae633.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (171.83 KB)
187163_5c12f1ea48c30.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (228.28 KB)
187163_5c12f1fc785b2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/12/13 18:57
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ric
See User information
I do not own this vehicle, I'm stuck putting it back together, the owner is ill and will not be with us for long..I know he doesn't mind me posting... looking for a top rad hose, dont care for the flex hose, and dont the hoses use spring clips.... need the routing for the power steering lines.. Pictures are great, I will keep going thru them... any and all help will be appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 19:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ric wrote:
I do not own this vehicle, I'm stuck putting it back together, the owner is ill and will not be with us for long..I know he doesn't mind me posting... looking for a top rad hose, dont care for the flex hose, and dont the hoses use spring clips.... need the routing for the power steering lines.. Pictures are great, I will keep going thru them... any and all help will be appreciated.

Ahhh... a 5699 Caribbean that went missing off of my list in 1983. Originally delivered new in Maryland if I recall. Nice to see it is still alive.

? You will have a tough time routing the power steering lines until the left front fender and driver's side air vent tube is back in place. The power steering hoses go through a special rubber grommet which is then clamped to the air vent stovepipe tube... which is fitted into the left front fender. Without all this in place, you've got no place to mount or route any of it.

? I also see a 2-prong stoplight switch installed... which of course will disable functions of the torsion-level suspension. The correct stoplight switch should have 3 connector prongs.

? The convertible top is cut and stitched improperly-all of which is partly why it is catching on the driver's door vent window frame top. It won't last long the way that it is with the metal repeatedly scraping against the vinyl.

? Can't see the transmission cooler lines...easiest to route these while the fenders are off.

There are other issues I see, but most of them can only be resolved with fenders in place.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 23:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For the upper radiator hose, use Napa NBH 7694 which will require shortening but is otherwise identical once cut. In fact, it fits all 1951 through 1956 Packards. I'm not sure but Goodyear 60751 might also be a good replacement.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 23:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To go along with Leeedy's comments here is a photo of the left inner fender showing the PB shift electrical components minus the silver colored 4 terminal auto park relay. The car you are working on is a very early car so depending on whether or not a factory mod was done to remove it, the car may have an additional black 3 terminal relay which would mount to and be immediately below the circuit breaker.

The clamp and rubber insert over the vent tube for the PS hoses is shown. There is another clamp with rubber insert for the hoses which bolts to the frame side and holds the hoses as they drop vertically just before the hose loop which enters the control valve.

As for the two prong brake switch, the car probably has the 3 terminal conversion kit installed and the relay which the 2 prong switch operates may be somewhere hidden in the bunched up wiring.

This car has factory air and obviously a few modifications such as the electric wiper motor and power door lock relay (mounted next to the window relay & CB) so don't pay attention to those.

Attach file:

jpg  (304.57 KB)
209_5c1336173bfd5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/12/13 23:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved