Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

HH56, Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Weatherstripping & seals
Just popping in
Just popping in

bigbob
See User information
Can anyone recommend a good supplier for rubber parts & weatherstripping? Looking for high quality. Thanks!

Posted on: 2019/1/26 16:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Weatherstripping & seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bigbob,
to PackadInfo.

Steele rubber and Metro Moulded Products are two that come to mind.

Steele is also available through Max Merritt and Kanter

And.....I invite you to include your Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/1/26 16:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am sure you've guessed that unlike Ford and Chevy, the Packard options are seriously limited in availability. I believe the current offerings are between Steele Rubber for many items and for some door and trunk weatherstrips, Kanter has some kits plus a few NOS specialty pieces. Prices and quality are comparable but there can be some significant differences on a few items so it pays to compare. You may have to buy from both places to find what you need and some items are not available at all. I wound up filling holes and cracks in old pieces to make them suitable as a silicone mold pattern and then casting a few small and solid pieces out of Urethane rubber.

I believe other than some old NOS items Max had carried and still might have in stock they currently just second source thru Steele and offer a bit of a discount if you buy from them. I am not sure where Kanter has his repro items made but I do remember comments Fred posted on the forum a while back where he went to great effort to say Steele was not his supplier at that time. I don't know if that has changed. Some generic extruded items that will work but may not be perfect to originals can be had from Restoration Specialties. Metro Molded Rubber has some extrusions and a few other items but not nearly as much as Steele in the way of Packard specific pieces.

Steele is the largest supplier of repro rubber in the old car industry and probably has the best selection of special Packard specific pieces but not all of their offerings are perfect repros -- primarily in the way some mount which can lead to some fit issues. The items are functional and look good but whereas Packard might have had a steel core in the middle of a piece to hold a shape around a curve or used a screw thru rubber and a metal tab, Steele's repro might just be the rubber which will need to be glued on. One other thing some have noticed is that Steele's items are often not quite the same hardness as original items and it seems to vary by piece. 55-6 windshield and rear window weatherstrip and rear suspension bushings are some items that seem softer. The softer weatherstrip doesn't want to hold the molding securely and causes a bit of grief when installing glass and moldings. The suspension bushings have been known to wear quickly.

Having said that, Steele does go to the trouble and expense to make the repros and are the only game around for the most part in what has to be a low volume product for them. Rather than having nothing I guess it is fortunate they take any interest at all in Packard pieces and guess we can be thankful they do.

Posted on: 2019/1/26 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigbob
See User information
After talking to some folks I was referred to, & ended up buying from Rubber the Right Way - www.RubberTheRightWay.com

They did not have much for my Packard on their site so I called them. Turns out they offer just about everything that is available. I received my order yesterday and I am more than pleased. The majority of the product they offer is made by Steele & Metro, but I was able to get much better pricing than buying direct from these manufacturers. I highly recommend giving Rubber the Right Way a go if you are in need of any rubber parts or weatherstrip. They were kind, informative & transparent in their product and pricing.

Posted on: 2019/2/2 12:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved