Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The Production Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Question
I have purchased a publication "The Production Packard" by Dar Kuehl, and I am getting a lot of good information from it
In the text it references a "see Source List" for parts.
Where can I get a hold of this "Source List"?
Thanks for your attention
Will

Posted on: 2019/3/4 13:19
 Top  Print   

Re: The Production Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe he may be talking about Jim Hill's list of vendors etc which has been available for many years and may have been the only list available when the book was published. I have not seen the list to know exactly who or what it contains. There is also a vendor list at the PAC site you can download but just at a quick glance that offering has several vendors missing so Hill's may be more complete. Check out the Packard Yellow Pages in the box on the home page.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.72 KB)
209_5c7d709a575ca.jpg 779X297 px

Posted on: 2019/3/4 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
FYI, Jim Hill is no longer producing or updating "The Source List". I just spoke to him to confirm, and he stopped a little over a year ago. Does anyone have a copy they could scan and forward to me?

Posted on: 2023/7/3 13:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, hopefully we can get a copy of that on the site if he is through with it. Along with the "oil grade" question that someone was complaining about earlier, where to buy parts is a huge FAQ for new owners as I'm sure we can all agree. Just the other day I was at a car cruise talking with a guy who bought a 54 convertible a week ago and his first question was where to get parts (even though the car is in great shape). I gave a few of the big names but a bigger list would be great. If we have one, hopefully we can take the time to cross-check it too.

P.S. I'm aware of the list we have on the site so far.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 15:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe Mr. Hill would be willing to share his last version in digital form or however he published it originally. If a spreadsheet, that's easy to convert to a database format.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 16:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Kulp
See User information
Its a good book but but has a couple of mistakes. It states the top door metal garnish parts were chrome plated. They were not, but were wood grained, like the dash. As my car was purchased as a 20 year old used car,so I know how the original one's were.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I haven't kept my P parts info up to date and thought I had that list from when I was in PAC, but not found on computer.
Hemmings ran series of articles about Packards and had a parts source list circa 2015. You can search and find it online, if you don't subscribe, add a site link, etc. I suspect it's copyright so may need authorization to print/store for distribution.
These lists go obsolete faster now, take a lot of time to keep up to date, so a full time job and the inventory changes so what they used to have when list compiled may not exist. That's the bane of restorations, that eat up and extend time. I know more than one place that went out of business since covid and they still are dropping off. Plus parts sitting out deteriorate yearly if not in dessert. Increasingly difficult to find stuff and not anyone jumping in a more or less dying business. The high volume newer stuff is where they go/must go to control costs.
The museums and P resto shops are a source too. I would guess starting out it's best to go to a P swap meet/show and ask around as a lot of stuff gets dispersed over time to collectors, etc. and becomes harder to pry out of the owners. I'm sure the people on here know stuff and may not divulge their sources either. Part of the "art".
ps: sometimes that source stuff is in the appendix...but never read this book.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Maybe Mr. Hill would be willing to share his last version in digital form or however he published it originally. If a spreadsheet, that's easy to convert to a database format.

Don, great suggestion. If I am thinking of the same person, I believe he wrote it on a typewriter or a primitive word processor and copies were done manually with a copy machine too. I suggested a modern word processing program to him, but he did not accept the idea. But, I may be mistaken.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 12:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It could by OCRed into digital format. OCR, for those who do not know, is Optical Character Recognition.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 12:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved