Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 100

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 Packard 6, generator smoking, burning smell
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
After running for a few minutes, the generator starts smoking. This is best noted when shutting off the engine and opening the hood where you can clearly see the smoke, not steam, but a burning smelling smoke coming from the end of the generator unit opposite where it connects to the engine. Now, is this a standard, "I need to remove the generator and have the generator rebuilt", or is it a different problem that can be solved with lubrication or something else. Any help, suggestions, or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted on: 2019/6/13 9:54
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 Packard 6, generator smoking, burning smell
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you noticed any other problems such as a hot to touch or overcharged battery or high reading on the ammeter? Assuming nothing mechanical such as a bearing going or some oil that is getting onto the commutator the only times I have seen generators getting hot enough to smoke was either a short in a winding or a sustained period of putting out maximum amps because of a stuck regulator. I know yours is third brush and no regulator as such but wonder if the brush could have slipped and is misadjusted or maybe its wire is touching the output and the field coils are getting maximum energy.

Posted on: 2019/6/13 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What has the ammeter been telling you?

These generators and critical internal parts are hardly plentiful and I suspect the chances are very good that much further operation could cause serious, perhaps irreversible damage. I'd remove it immediately for evaluation. As the front bearing remains with the timing chain you'll want to find a shop with the proper test bed for any repairs; just tell them it's an Owen-Dyneto and if they ask what that means, find another shop.

Posted on: 2019/6/13 11:08
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, I think I'm gonna pull it and take it to Kanter's for service/rebuild.

Posted on: 2019/6/13 15:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved