Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

President of Chile's Packard on American Pickers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Since I don't visit the forum much, this topic may have already been covered.

I just saw the episode of American Pickers in which the guys the were in NY state and picked the car collection of the family of a now-deceased gentleman who collected Packards, among other cars.

One of the Packards belonged to the President of Chile. The seller wanted $55,000. The owner had turned down an offer $35,000 from a previous potential buyer. An expert named Mefford was with Mike and said the car would probably bring $40,000/45,000 at auction.

Just wondering if any forum members might know what become of that Packard, which I assume would be highly desired.

Also, the collector had a "Madame X" Cadillac, which I had never heard of.

kind regards
Garrett meadows

Posted on: 2019/6/9 19:00
 Top  Print 

Re: President of Chile's Packard on American Pickers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Garret (skateboardgumby), -> there a car is mentioned, that once belonged to the president of Chile.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 2:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I'd also never heard of a Madame X Cadillac, but there was quite a lot of discussion about it in this thread on the AACA Website.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 3:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thanks for the link. It was highly informative both about the car and the show.

I do kinda resent it when such shows create a lot of artificial hype and drama over something that is quite the contrary. To hear American Pickers talk, you'd think the Madame X Cadillac was the Holy Grail or Spear of Destiny. However, one of the forum members in the link you sent--obviously very knowledgeable--said the Madame X Cadillac was not all that special and nothing to write home about.

I often wonder after a particular episode of American Pickers airs, if the featured collectors are swamped with individuals wanting to buy their stuff. For instance, after the show featuring the President of Chile's Packard aired, did Packard collectors beset the owner for offers not only for that Packard, but the other Packards as well?

Thanks again for the link.
as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2019/6/10 9:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess it is the American way to make a good profit and I'll grant it is a TV show looking for ratings and is probably as fake as all get out but I kind of lost all respect for the American Pickers show when IMO they took advantage of someone and laughed openly about it. Not having the decency to be a little discreet that they had made a good deal, the guys took to laughing at the seller as they drove away from the barn about him not knowing what he had and how much profit they were going to make reselling the item without having to do any work except stick a price tag on it. I would think that would discourage the next seller or maybe make him think twice about talking to them let alone selling something but maybe I look at things differently.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
The Pickers have gone out on a limb a lot of times, but there were a few shows that were just beyond absurd... and nobody was minding the facts or the history. Like the time they supposedly bought a "1939 Plymouth" (of course it wasn't, but nobody even noticed). See JoeSantana's posting in the "Packard history from 1945" thread? See the REAL 1939 Plymouth in his posting? Compare this to the supposed 1939 Plymouth the picker guys bought on the show. The Plymouth on the show was NOT a 1939-which had very distinctive squared-off headlights molded into the fenders. And they've made some ridiculous claims with bicycles too. But people obviously love the show and they just keep on forging ahead-no matter how many the mistakes or how the show is so obviously staged. And people are obviously still tuning in and listening to the cash register sound.

I'm sure the pickers make piles of cash. The show is designed for ratings, not facts. They really don't show up at collector's houses in their van while a video camera man is already stationed strategically inside! Surely nobody sane and past 8 years old really believes this. They fly in from wherever they are and the rest of the staging and props equipment arrive in a giant transport truck. THEN they pull up in the van, pretending to be fresh off of the road.

Probably the worst part of this show and others like it is that they have totally crocked the idea of what "collector" means. Anyone who seriously collects can now be pre-analyzed as a wheeler-dealer. Thanks to these shows, the public is now convinced that collecting is merely a euphemism for buying low and selling high. Since this show and ones like it (some complete with the "cha-ching!" cash register sound), the public now views collecting anything vintage as "investing." And people now want to quote "values" and "market" based on some TV show. I can't buy anything anymore without the seller telling me, "...ya know they had one-a these on that pickers show on TV and they said it's worth..." A REAL collector likely will accumulate things regardless of the value and with no special intent of selling for a massive profit. I cannot tell you of how many times over the last few decades when I dragged something home only to have people along the way laugh at it or me-thinking I was out of my mind.

Some of those same passionless, vision-less people who were laughing decades ago are now asking things like, "How did you know that Packard would be worth so much?" I liked it better when they laughed.

One final thought on how horribly wrong things have morphed over the last 20 years. I corrected a museum on something they had on display... and the response was "...We don't care if what we're displaying is right or wrong! Our policy is to never let the facts get in the way of a good story." So help me. They actually said this... and proudly so.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 13:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
This is WAY off topic, but your quote "Out of chaos comes order," reminded me of an excellent Kate Winslet movie I just saw called "A Little Chaos." In a roundabout way, it supports Nietzsche's quote.

If you haven't seen the movie, check it out.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2019/6/11 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I have to agree that the Pickers are often cavalier and condescending about how they basically took someone to the cleaners.
as always
Garrett

Posted on: 2019/6/11 15:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Like you, it bothers me when shows such as Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and similar shows toss off "facts" that are not facts. I guess they take it for granted viewers don't care and/or aren't willing to do a fact check.

as always
Garrett M

Posted on: 2019/6/11 15:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
In the beginning the show was about taking people because they didn't know the value of something. I think they must have received a lot of pushback from viewers, especially when they took a 90-something veteran and a kindly 85-year-old widow.

But I've watched a lot of episodes and to me it's about the long-time relationship of Mike and Frank, their styles of picking, and the people they meet, many of whom are tough old birds, male and female, negotiating on prices of things they have piled to the ceiling covered in rust and dust.

They don't show any real expertise is cars, so I never expect them to be accurate. Motorcycles and bicycles they know a lot more about than most people, so I find that interesting.

Their biggest pick, $90K, was right here in Oregon near Salem from a collection of a guy who never sold anything while he was alive.

Posted on: 2019/6/12 9:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved