Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 50

Joe, mjschenden, BigKev, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Auction Report: '31 Deluxe Eight 840 Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
This '31 Deluxe Eight 840 roadster was part of a local collection for decades. Sorry, but this auction slipped by my Packards at auctions radar, being very local is embarrassing.

Surprising is what it sold for: $69,620. I would have guessed at least twice that. Take a look at the photos, what would have been your guess on sale price?

https://www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/60298/1931-packard-model-840

Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/6 12:04
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: Auction Report: '31 Deluxe Eight 840 Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That was a steal! But I have to say that prewar senior Packards have been getting softer in the last year or so.

Posted on: 2019/10/6 14:49
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Steve - I hate to 'poke the bull' on this one, as I know it is a sensitive subject, but could there have been any authenticity question marks or issues with this car? Are these not the same models that are regularly seen at $200K+??? It's the old deal - 'when it looks too good to be true'?!?!? Chris.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 0:39
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Chris

I wondered this too, though I'd seen the car at shows back into the early 1970's. The body swapping really picked up in the 1980's as the value of open models escalated. Mr. Hopkins was a straight-forward type of person, had a '34 Twelve 5-passenger sedan and a '40 180 Darrin Victoria. I doubt if he would have had anything to do with a compromised car.

In this case, I think the low price results have completely to do with it being consigned to a local auction company that primarily deals in household antiques. The promotion was very limited, one surmises it didn't reach the proper audience.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't appear in the Hershey car corral priced significantly higher.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/8 15:43
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't think the car is a fake. The engine compartment needs work, but it does still have the original water jacket bolts.

I would be happy if the car went to someone who wants it rather than end up in the dealer merry-go-round with some absurd price the way countless other cars I follow have.

The only reason I don't pick up one of these relics is that Michigan roads are so bad there is no place to use it. When I move to another state with decent roads I will reconsider. I'm so tied up with engineering that will have to wait.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the reply, Steve. If what you (and Tim) are saying is true, then someone got the score of a lifetime! I can only echo Tim's sentiment that I hope it is an individual who genuinely wanted the car as a keeper and who will care for and preserve it. I am a relative newcomer to the antique car world and was very happy to find my prewar Six at what I believe was a 'score' price. The 840 roadster is out of my range as a retired guy trying to balance inflation with a fixed income, but hopefully, that price made someone's dream car a reality. She IS a beauty! Chris.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 18:22
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved