Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Clipper canvas radiator covers and brush guards?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Digging through the trunk of this recently acquired 47 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan that may or may not have been a military buy back. OD green on most surfaces, grey on firewall and some hidden areas.

I have no idea if this bumper hitch is Packard or aftermarket, but the military would not have used this type.

Canvas pieces with spring clips that seem to fit grill and front whiskers under parking lights. The front bumper thingy looks like some sort of grill protector, but the rear bumper thingy makes no sense to me. Packard accessory? Aftermarket? Chrome plated and heavy steel, so I don't think it is military or bubba.

Supposed to be a set of fender skirts in that trunk somewhere.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.22 KB)
200179_5da6652d721fa.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2019/10/15 19:32
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 Clipper canvas radiator covers and brush guards?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Front bumper and od green canvas grill covers.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.42 KB)
200179_5da666b965aa8.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2019/10/15 19:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard did have an accessory to cover the radiator but can't see enough detail on the one on your car to see if it might be the same. Packard apparently used a silver colored canvas but if the car was ex military maybe they had one in a darker shade or in olive drab.

It was still available for postwar 46-7 models.

The rear bumper "thingy" was also an accessory and was for extra protection to the trunk handle and lid.

Attach file:

jpg  (152.27 KB)
209_5da66f38f3da0.jpg 914X1288 px

jpg  (76.92 KB)
209_5da67049bc59f.jpg 1294X596 px

jpg  (54.74 KB)
209_5da71cfa31a68.jpg 1164X618 px

Posted on: 2019/10/15 20:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And still available thru the 23rd series, in 2 forms, the insect screen and the winterfront. A good illustration of both in Bob Neal's book, among other places.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 8:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Here is a NOS Clipper grille winter front set for sale:
https://vermont.craigslist.org/pts/d/wolcott-packard-clipper-set-for-grille/6992682777.html

Steve

Posted on: 2019/10/16 10:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Steve, seems like there are more pieces there than needed??

I see the pieces that fit the upright grill, and the grill at the bottom to each side of the upright grill.
What are the 4 small pieces shown go at??

John

Posted on: 2019/10/16 11:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's a mixture of two different types, bug screen and cold weather winterfront. And unless I see it incorrectly some are for 22/23 series, some for 21st series. Take a look in the 22/23 series accessories brochure or the Neal book for pix of the bug screens and winterfront.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 13:32
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
OK, the canvas appears to be a type of winter cover, military or Bubba created. We found a blackout light cover in the parts, so we are thinking this is a former buy back military staff car. Although the time frame doesn't add up...anyway ....
what about the heavy chrome plated rear and front bumper add on pieces? Not drilled to hold lights or license plates. Any ideas on those?

Posted on: 2019/10/16 18:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Again, not the best detail in your photos but from what I see I believe the bumper pieces are the stock accessory protective offerings shown in the photo from the accessory brochure I posted along with the canvas winterfronts in the third post in this thread.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved