Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48-50 front bumper adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello All,

My front bumper seems to be a bit crooked, the passenger side end makes contact with the fender when I hit a bump causing a loud bang in and out of the car. It was actually a relief discovering this was the sound and not a suspension part! In looking at the mounts and hardware there though, everything seems a bit solid and I'm not sure how to adjust it really (Bend things? Spacers/shims?). I also see pictures of other cars where it's similarly angled up, as if the lower part is smiling a bit, and other cars where it's angled down, as if the bumper is hanging from the middle. Is it an easy thing to adjust?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/5/26 20:41
 Top  Print 

Re: 48-50 front bumper adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Not to say you're wrong, If the car has a front stabilizer a loud noise can be generated when you hit highs and lows in the road. Check the stabilizer bushings too.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 21:19
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
It has been too many years since I was young and played with auto bodywork, but from memory I think the bolt holes on the bumper brackets were oversized to allow for some adjustment, that should work unless the bracket has become bent over the years. Probably take several folks to hold bumper in correct place while another tightens the bolts.

Posted on: 2020/5/27 5:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Ok great, definitely something I'll get to with some help and maybe a jack! I've assured it's the bumper, knocking it with the hand upward it makes clear contact. Something at some point happened on the passenger side of the car, likely it was swiped or ran along a wall, there's some scraping along the trim and the front fender isn't quite straight. Luckily no other damage or serious issues but I bet that's when the bumper got out of its place.

Posted on: 2020/5/27 20:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved