Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Junior or Senior series
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
How is a Packard determined Senior or Junior ? Which is my 1948 Deluxe Touring Sedan ( 2262 ) ? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/6/23 10:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Junior or Senior series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the juniors are considered by most to be the cars with the short wheelbase and smaller simpler lower HP engines. IMO, your deluxe would be considered a junior car but I suppose being deluxe with the trim differences some would consider them midrange. Midrange series kind of overlaps, some with long wheelbases but the smaller engines and most sharing trim with both junior and senior models. The senior models all have the long wheelbases and the largest or most developed engines such as the 356 or the 327 9 main and the highest trim level interiors.

There are some anomalies. Some of the LWB models have smaller engines and the 51-54 convertibles and hard tops are a good example of a mistake. Packard made the initial decision to build those models on the short wheelbase in the 200 line. They quickly found most buyers wanted senior cars so almost immediately Packard upgraded trim and some mechanicals to try and bring them close to the mid range 300 models hence the 250 designation. Eventually by 54 they threw everything upscale they could at them to make it look and be equipped as a senior model albeit on a short wheelbase.

Posted on: 2020/6/23 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Howard -

Posted on: 2020/6/23 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
John

Your 2262 Eight Deluxe, 120" wb, 288 cu in engine, is considered a Junior series, successor to the 1946-'47 Clipper Deluxe, 120" wb, 282 cu in eight engine.

A more thorough explanation of the 22nd Series model anomalies to follow.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/6/23 13:05
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The reason I ask - Some vendors designate their parts listings either for Junior or Senior cars -

Posted on: 2020/6/23 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
For the 22nd and 23rd series:
There were 6 cyl cars in the 22nd, primarily taxi and export
The Eight and Eight Deluxe use the 288
These are Juniors

The Super 8 uses a 327, but not the later 9 main version
The Super 8 Deluxe in the 23rd series uses the 327
The Custom 8 uses the 356
These are Seniors

Posted on: 2020/6/23 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As an aside, the commercial chassis also used the 356 and a Custom 8-like grill but was something of a stand-alone being neither senior nor junior.

Posted on: 2020/6/23 16:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved