Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5th Series engine misbehaving...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Fellow I know is chasing a "loading up, then backfiring when the car warms up" situation on his 526/533. I suggested possibly a coil issue, which has now been remedied, to no avail. I vaguely recall a recent string on misfiring/backfiring issues which is where my coil suggestion came from.
As most of you know, I ain't no mechanic - but know where to go for advice/suggestions to pass along, so please, friends, don't let me down...HELP!

DAF

Posted on: 2020/6/28 21:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 5th Series engine misbehaving...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Backfiring thru the intake or the exhaust?

What's the fuel delivery system?

Posted on: 2020/6/28 21:27
 Top  Print 

Re: 5th Series engine misbehaving...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
This may also be a head gasket issue. New style non asbestos gaskets blow between cylinders and cause backfiring. My 533 had this issue until I put in an original McCord gasket (2nd hand which I removed in 1976). The Flackmaster (Mr unobtainium) found an original NOS gasket and delivered it in New Zealand last year. I have not had to use this gasket yet. A compression test will show up such a problem. If you need to drive the veh with such a problem, simply disconnect one of the spark plug leads on the perforated cylinders and the car will run fine on 4.5 cylinders to get you home. Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (288.76 KB)
154_5ef9773e80740.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2020/6/29 0:08
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved