Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When looking at a photo how do you tell the difference between a junior and senior Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Lambert
See User information
On Facebook people post photos of different Packards and don't put year or model. I know in person I can identify a 110 and 120 from a senior but the only thing I see from a photo is the bumpers. What else gives a junior different from seniors by photo only?

Richard

Posted on: 2020/9/27 14:32
1930 Packard 734 Speedster Sedan
1932 Packard 900 Light Eight Sedan
1932 Packard 903 Deluxe Victoria
1934 Packard 1101 2/4 Coupe
 Top  Print 

Re: When looking at a photo how do you tell the difference between a junior and senior Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
It depends on the year. From 1939-1942 the differences become smaller. From 1935-1938 (and 1939 Twelve) the differences are bigger; dash, fenders, hood louvres, bumpers.

Posted on: 2020/9/27 15:15
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Re: When looking at a photo how do you tell the difference between a junior and senior Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can go to the Packard Photo Archive here. Just look to the left of this and you will see the Main Menu. Under this are a number of items. Click on the photo archive and select the year you want to view. Some of the photos are not too good, but they will give you a good idea of the various senior and junior models from 1935 to the end. There were no junior models, per se, before 1935. 1935 is when Packard introduced its mid-priced 120 model line and expanded it in 1937 to include the Sixes. As BDC says it gets more difficult to discern the seniors from the juniors after 1939 and even more so with the Clippers. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2020/9/28 10:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Lambert
See User information
Thanks BDC and JW,
I am a 1930-1934 owner and only interested in senior cars.
I do like to look at all Packards and that is why I ask the question.
It's easy to tell a Vega from a Cadillac but I have a hard time telling a junior from a senior by photo only. In person I have no problem, motor, bumper, size, etc.
Richard

Posted on: 2020/9/28 11:42
1930 Packard 734 Speedster Sedan
1932 Packard 900 Light Eight Sedan
1932 Packard 903 Deluxe Victoria
1934 Packard 1101 2/4 Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
The difference in scale and detail of the 1935-1938 Senior and the 1939 Twelve, being completely different bodies and details from the Juniors makes identifying them easy.

Beginning with 1939, it takes a fair amount of looking at each year and model then comparing them to contemporary series to get a handle on the differences. The 115/Six/110 is easiest to identify by its short front end ahead of the cowl. Details such as bumpers and hubcaps help since they tend smaller and less detailed.

More difficult to identify is 1940-'41 120 versus the 160 since so much is shared, although the 1941 Senior bumpers and taillights are unique to Seniors. Studying which body styles were available in which series helps sort out the possibilities.

I initially learned how to instantly recognize favorite models and styles, worked my way down through the general production series. Its a fun exercise to become familiar with all they built...then have a custom-bodied Packard you've never seen before appear!

Steve

Edited 9-30-2020: When it comes to recognizing various Packard models by sight, as in the old adage about how do you get to Carnegie Hall: practice, practice, practice.

Posted on: 2020/9/28 16:29
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
That was part of Packard's problem in later years, not enough difference between the lower cost models and the senior cars....

Posted on: 2020/9/28 18:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
IF the car has fender spares, you can identify a '37 Senior by the chrome support bars....unique to 1937.

Attach file:

jpg  (212.83 KB)
441_5f72806d8d88e.jpg 1600X1230 px

Posted on: 2020/9/28 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
In addition to the mentioned 41-2 differences in bumpers and taillights, the hood side trim (false vents and hood release) is much wider on a senior, and the running board (if so equipped) trim strips run the length of the horizontal surface on a senior. Then there are the model scripts on the hood and deck lid.

But it's not completely unknown to have senior trim on a junior, as it's bolt on stuff

Posted on: 2020/9/29 6:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved