Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lester Tires or similar
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I have a '35 1200 and I have been running Lester 7.5 17" tires, Im not seeing those being offered anymore was wondering if there is a good alternative at that size anybody is aware of?

Posted on: 2020/10/8 14:02
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Re: Lester Tires or similar
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As you may be aware, you've got the incorrect size tire on your 1200. The 7.50-17 was the correct size for the Twelve, the Eight and Super Eight used the 7.00-17 and these are available in Firestone, Lester and Bedford Famous Coach labels. The Bedford tires are very popular these days in this size (or the 7.50-17 size if you want to keep the larger but incorrect size), many folks including myself have come to favor the Bedfords in part because they have a more correctly sized whitewall (if that matters to you), and an appropriate "of-the-era" tread pattern. I've had mine now for just over a year and an very pleased. That said, I also had excellent success for over 25 years with the prior set of Lesters and found them to be an excellent tour tire.

PS - I purchased my Bedford tires and tubes from Lucas Tire. Note in the photo the metal inner tube valve stem, correct for 1934 but by 1935 rubber stem tubes were introduced.

Attach file:

jpg  (200.33 KB)
177_5f7f6b925c412.jpg 1500X1101 px

Posted on: 2020/10/8 14:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks Owen, these are all bias ply??

Posted on: 2020/10/16 14:14
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Bedfords, Firestone and Lesters are bias construction, 6-ply or 6-ply rated. In my experiences radial construction offers little or no handling benefits on cars with solid beam front axles.

Posted on: 2020/10/16 14:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved