Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Listing the types of light bulbs used in my 1934 Packard 1100
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher Slater
See User information
Does anyone know where I can find the types of light bulbs that are used on my 1934 Packard 1100?

Is this information in one of the shop manuals?

Or is the best way to accomplish this is by pulling each lamp on the car and look for a label?

I have the following lights on my car:

2x headlights
2x pilot rays (non-Packard accessory)
2x fender lights
2x tail lights

1x interior dome light
1x interior dash/map light
(unknown quantity of) instrument lights

Posted on: 2020/10/13 15:30
Christopher Slater
San Jose CA
NorCal Packards / Packard Automobile Classics / CCCA
1934 Packard 1100 Five Passenger Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Listing the types of light bulbs used in my 1934 Packard 1100
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard didn't publish a shop manual for 1934, the owner's manual mentions bulbs by candlepower but not manufacturer's bulb number. The headlamps are Mazda 3003, the others can be easily identified by pulling them and looking for the number stamped on the shell. All except the headlamp bulbs are readily available from NAPA or good autoparts stores. The 3003 bulbs are uncommon and expensive.

This chart for 1933 Packard mentions the bulbs at the bottom right, same for 1934. The same publication also has a bulb chart with full bulb particulars, I have it scanned and saved somewhere, if I find it I'll add it later.

Note the curious error, data for the 8-cylinder but wiring of the Twelve.

Attach file:

jpg  (470.59 KB)
177_5f8615d16a370.jpg 1273X1755 px

Posted on: 2020/10/13 16:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher Slater
See User information
Thank you for providing the scan of the 1933 wiring diagram and the Mazda bulb numbers for the headlights.

I hope you can find the scan of the bulb chart with full bulb particulars as that would be interesting to see too.

Posted on: 2020/10/13 16:36
Christopher Slater
San Jose CA
NorCal Packards / Packard Automobile Classics / CCCA
1934 Packard 1100 Five Passenger Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Found it.

If you find you need 3003 headlamp bulbs, let me know as I have more than enough spares for what little night driving I'll be doing.

Attach file:

jpg  (372.97 KB)
177_5f862511af6cd.jpg 1329X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/10/13 17:07
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Galisurgon
See User information
I think you should look for something in online stores and it's better if it's LEDs. The resource of the LED lamp is up to 100 thousand hours; with a daily glow for 8 hours, a high-quality diode will work for 34 years. Such indicators are unattainable for other types of lamps. By the way, LEDs do not stop working instantly, like other lamps — a dimmed light is a sign of necessity. Therefore, I recommend looking for car lights with LEDs, and I think you can find what you are looking for even online.

Posted on: 2022/6/27 14:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't believe that LED replacements are currently made.

I was thinking about designing some LED replacements for the rarer types of bulbs, but obviously demand would be very low so unless there's some immediate interest/need then it will stay a back-burner idea for now.

Posted on: 2022/6/27 16:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have one 3003 bulb and a useable cap and rotor which are left over from my 33. Please let me know if interested. In Sacramento. Bruce Blevins sells LED bulbs and has many reproduced numbers 1-810- 744-1820

Posted on: 2022/6/27 17:51

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I plan to replace lights in my '37 120C with LED bulbs. My Operating and maintenance Data calls for 1.5 candlepower, Mazda 55 bulbs for the reading, parking, and fender lights and .8 candlepower, Mazda 51 bulbs for gauge, clock, signal, and radio lights and 3 candle power, Mazada 63 bulbs for rear tail lights. I was able to find LED replacements for the Mazda bulbs on LEDLIGHT.com: Product code 23694 for Mazda 51, Product code 69548 for Mazda 55, and Product code for Mazda 63. I have no idea the quality of the light since I am in the process of installing a new wiring harness but want to do all I can to reduce load on 6 volt battery and to get bright lights. The only problem is that they are made in China.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 9:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Poster on the AACA For Sale Forum has some 3003 bulbs for sale, click on this link.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 18:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one thing to consider is the color of the lights. If taillights or even dash lights trough a color filter, be sure to choose bulbs of the same color. White bulbs for these things will be too bright and will visually bleach out the lenses/filters.

I would live to find LED replacements for the headlight-type bulbs too as I believe these are what's used on my 1951 Henney-Packard's siren/light unit but as far as I know, no one is making those.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 19:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved