Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Packard 180=converting to overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Has anyone ever converted a non-overdrive 1940 180 to overdrive? I don't have any immediate plans to do this to my car but just curious what is involved and how much $$$$ it would cost.

Posted on: 2020/10/15 1:51
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Packard 180=converting to overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I converted my 1940 110 to overdrive which I can't image is much different in the basic concept to a senior model.

It required, of course, finding, rebuilding and installing the overdrive transmission and its added supports, cable, wiring, relays, kick-down switch and all the obvious stuff but it also meant shortening the drive shaft and replacing the rear end with the proper ratio for use with overdrive. This latter isn't absolutely necessary but it will make adding it a bit better for highway driving as the non-overdrive rear end was something of a compromise for keeping the RPMs somewhat reasonable at speed but sacrificed the power from a stop. On a junior it made a big difference but maybe not so much on a senior!

This was at least forty-five years ago and cost several thousand dollars but would cost far, far more now especially due to the fact that parts that were difficult to find then will be much harder to locate now!

Posted on: 2020/10/15 2:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Are the junior and senior trans and OD units the same? I have a 110 that came with overdrive; eventually I may get it revived.

Posted on: 2020/10/15 22:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 356 engine has a larger clutch plate with a center opening sized for the larger diameter input shaft on the trans -- shaft is approx 3/16" larger than the smaller engines -- and to take the higher engine torque and weight of the car the OD unit has 4 pinions in the OD planetary setup vs 3 used on the ODs for smaller engines. The smaller engines used the same trans and ODs with only the 356 needing the larger unit.

For the original poster asking about converting a 180, if you need a complete setup for the 356 engine you might see if Ross still has this unit available.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=226102#forumpost226102 A complete setup with the electrical etc all in one package offering is kind of scarce.

Posted on: 2020/10/15 22:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Howard (HH56) suggested, the mechanical items are not the same but it is the same system so the conversion would be identical and have the same requirements for any model. You would need to be sure you had senior parts.

Posted on: 2020/10/16 12:47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved