Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The latest not so good news 1936 Packard pan removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
Today I removed the flywheel/clutch cover, removed the bracket that goes under it, and removed all the pan bolts. The pan is stuck in place, probably some sealant that was used when it was put together. I then noticed 2 about 3 inch pieces of rubber hanging down from behind the rear of the pan. I gave them a little pull and this 7 inch long piece of rubber came out. Looks to me like it is the lower half of a rear main seal.
The flywheel/clutch cover was oily inside and out, although the flywheel and clutch mechanism appears to be dry, and the clutch still works very smoothly.
I guess I will need to pull the engine to put a new rear main seal in or can this be done without removing the engine?
Picture of the offending rubber piece.

Attach file:

jpg  (264.40 KB)
222759_5fb4b9faa3532.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2020/11/18 1:07
1936 Packard 120 convertible sedan
1916 Ford Model T Coupelet
1962 Thunderbird
2000 Corvette convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: The latest not so good news 1936 Packard pan removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The good news is that your engine does not have a rear main seal. It relies on a slinger on the back of the crankshaft. That strip is just to seal between the clutch cover and the back of the pan.

Further to your other post: Since you have the fenders off and away why not just unbolt the front motor mount arch from the frame and jack the motor up an inch or two? That will ease getting to the pan bolts and clearing the steering.

Posted on: 2020/11/18 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Its probably a good idea to remove the radiator and check your water distribution tube as well, while you have stuff pulled apart.

Posted on: 2020/11/18 9:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
Thank you for the good information about the oil slinger. Today I spent 3 hours with 4 long screwdrivers and a hammer getting the engine pan loose from the block. Whoever put the engine together used a sealer that acted like a very strong glue.
I am taking the rest of the day off as we are doing a very small 78th birthday celebration for me this evening.
Tomorrow I have a visit with my oncologist and then a visit with the Dr. who will do my radiation. Then later in the day a small number of family members will be over for my birthday. The day should end much better than it will start.
Friday I will get the engine hoist out and lift the front of the engine so I can get the pan out. Wish me luck.
A picture from 2010 of old guy with Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.16 KB)
222759_5fb5b41d905fe.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2020/11/18 18:55
1936 Packard 120 convertible sedan
1916 Ford Model T Coupelet
1962 Thunderbird
2000 Corvette convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi KMcoldcars,

Very nice looking Packard; Happy Birthday and best of luck on your treatments and recovery. Having your car to tinker on is probably a welcome and worthy diversion! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/18 20:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
If I could add to Ross's reply, although there is no rear seal as you might exspect there is a rear main cap seal which consists of two wooden sticks one on each side of the cap which prevents oil from leaking around the sides of the cap. mine was m missing these sticks and leaked a bit. you can easily unbolt the cap and clean the slinger area and drain slot in cap then install the cap and sticks. also the crank slinger has an area behind it that is sort of threaded which causes any oil that travels beyond the slinger to travel back to the slinger and not back toward the flywheel.
Dick

Posted on: 2020/11/18 21:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved