Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1923 220 Touring - A question on painting
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Pippo
See User information
Hi all and thanks for the welcome. I am well on my way with my restoration of my yet-to-be-named 1923 Tour car and am wondering what is the proper way to proceed in painting. Do I remove the skin from the skeleton or paint while still attached.
Having removed everything from the interior and having found the wooden framing to be in excellent condition with no rot or sponginess, is it necessary to remove the skin for a proper restoration?

Thanks in advance
Pippo

Posted on: 2020/12/9 8:32
 Top  Print 

Re: 1923 220 Touring - A question on painting
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Pippo,
I can't believe you haven't received a flood of responses yet. I am restoring my grandfather's 1929 Seven Passenger Sedan from the ground up. I have the luxury of free advice from several excellent restorers, at least one of whom has told me that proper restoration is simple...take the whole car apart, clean up the parts and put them back together. That is of course an oversimplification. There are some parts on a pre-war Packard that will probably never wear out, like the ring and pinion gear (in my humble experience). One thing I have observed on my car is that ninety years have allowed dirt, rust, rot and corrosion to attack places I had assumed were inaccessible on a car that has largely been stored inside since new. So, without telling you that you may want to carefully explore a few places where that wood may have begun to rot, I would not at all be surprised to hear that you found some trouble spots.

Another fact I have begun to fully embraced over the course of my restoration is that these cares are just as beautiful in original condition as when they are restored, and the act of restoration takes away some of that patina that will never come back. It is only original once, and if you don't have a good reason to tear it down, you may not want to.

In my case, it was necessary to take the car apart because my dad overheated the engine in 1956 and I was encouraged to examine the internals before starting it, and the same (dear old dad), had the frame sandblasted with the car intact, so there was sand everywhere, which I am still finding.

Ultimately, the decision is based on common sense. Good luck with your restoration!

Posted on: 2020/12/10 19:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 1923 220 Touring - A question on painting
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Pippo
See User information
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it greatly. Good luck with your restoration as well
Pippo

Posted on: 2020/12/11 9:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved