Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 143

Packard Don, Dads 56, Ted Kitzmiller, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Under Hood Color
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lgace
See User information
I recently restored the horns on my '38 1601 Packard. I have searched for pictures and found some but all seemed to be different finishes, semi-gloss, gloss black, even chrome. I realize you can restore things the way you want, but what was the original finish? What is the correct finish?

I have seen some old posts on web sites mention Packard International (PI). They have (had) a document (don't know if it still exists) that they were working on to document the color and finish of all the components under the hood of all years and models of Packard's. I searched their website and could not find it. Does anyone know how to purchase the document? Does this site have an equivalent document?

I ended up painting them semi-gloss from information I've seen from a respondent that claimed to have a copy of the document stating that the finish of the horns were semi-gloss.

Any information on this issue would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2020/12/30 14:15
Tony
 Top  Print 

Re: Under Hood Color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2020/12/30 14:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Lgace...You might wish to call Robert Escalante, who is in charge of Packards International and Custom Auto, in Santa Ana, California...All they do is Packard Restoration and Maintenance...He is the man in charge and will know if such a document exists. 714-543-2970. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/12/30 16:58
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With regard to that publication by Packards International, I would contact them directly about its current availability. Quite a few of us here have it and I'll check what it says about your horns later and advise. Last time I inquired it was still available for sale and still under copyright which precludes posting it here without permission of the publisher or author.

Posted on: 2020/12/30 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
If ur asking about the Horns - Semi Gloss BLACK

UNDER HOOD COLOR a diff subject.

Posted on: 2020/12/30 17:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lgace, if I'm reading the PI engine room judging guide correctly, your horns should be gloss black.

Posted on: 2020/12/30 19:00
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lgace
See User information
Crap! I'll look into acquiring the document and verify, but it looks like I need repaint them. It took me a long time to decide on the paint, is there any suggestions on what paint to use? I would guess its a Lacquer.

OK, thanks for the information.

Below are some pictures of the restore process I thought people would want to see.

Attach file:

jpg  (262.54 KB)
148412_5fee1656ddadd.jpg 1920X1289 px

jpg  (182.38 KB)
148412_5fee1685b7cab.jpg 1920X1289 px

jpg  (332.31 KB)
148412_5fee16a6930e1.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (194.66 KB)
148412_5fee16c16166f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (194.84 KB)
148412_5fee16d582b07.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (202.23 KB)
148412_5fee16e505d97.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/12/31 13:17
Tony
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Lgace,

Very nice tear-down and clean-up job on your horns! Just my 2-bits worth, but I'd question the need to repaint yours, if only to 'correct' from semi-gloss to gloss. 2 weeks and 200 miles under the hood and they'd look like semi-gloss anyway. I know mine do!! I simply sanded mine down on the outside and sprayed with Rustoleum high-gloss. Unless a guy is going to be under there cleaning them all the time, the 'gloss factor' is kind of a non issue to me. The purists might brand me a heretic, but what the hey?? Chris

Posted on: 2020/12/31 15:03
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used to judge at Packard Club shows (not major Concours events) and agree with Chris that the difference between gloss and semi-gloss is very subtle and I can see absolutely no reason to repaint them. However, I would be very surprised if lacquer was originally used!

Typo corrected and had to fight auto-correct which kept trying to change it back!

Posted on: 2020/12/31 15:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don, if I may - Concours not Concourse. Happy New Year and take care.

Posted on: 2021/1/1 16:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved