Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

JD in KC, Kenken , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Transmission removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
On a 51 to 54 with an ultramatic. Any suggestions on removing a transmission?
From the bottom and leave engine in place or pull engine and trans together?

To pull engine and trans together wont removing front clip make it easier?
Thanks for the tips.
John

Posted on: 2021/1/15 20:30
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Originally I think they removed it from underneath. But without a lift and transmission jack it would be fun. Removing everything as a unit you would probably need to remove the front clip or at least the grill and radiator to make it simpler. A lot of weight to wrest around I should think. John

Posted on: 2021/1/15 21:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can pull it either way but if removing the engine and trans complete, the combo is very heavy and center of balance is far back so be sure to have a good cherry picker that can carry the weight (near 1300 lbs if manifolds, electrical etc is still bolted to engine) and the reach can get the arm near the rear of the block. You could also use an overhead hoist and be sure to have a helper or two. True, It would be easier if the clip and hood was off but removal of the pair is a lot of extra work. Removing the hood and radiator assy is sufficient providing the cherry picker is able to lift it high enough to clear the grill or alternately you could remove the grill too but that again starts getting into a lot of extra work.

Removal of the trans from the bottom is the method the SM recommends. That will require some decent jackstands or a frame hoist. While it is heavy and space is tight, it can be done as long as the rear of the engine is supported when the rear crossmember is removed and trans is disconnected from the block. Packard did make a service tool available for just that support purpose and it might be worthwhile to try building something similar. Without it you will be working with a jack under the car to support and remove the trans as well as have another jack or a bunch of blocks to work around supporting the engine when things are removed.

Attach file:

jpg  209_6002544ae2c71.jpg (109.72 KB)
209_6002544ae2c71.jpg 528X1438 px

jpg  209_60025495dda2a.jpg (128.39 KB)
209_60025495dda2a.jpg 768X1176 px

Posted on: 2021/1/15 21:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The problem with removing the radiator is the core support. Hence why you find alot with that the top bar cut and welded back on. Otherwise it's lot of stuff to remove to get the core support out. If you can remove it safely from underneath, it would be less work.

Posted on: 2021/1/15 22:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks for the tips and the support bar pictures. I do have a lift so I guess I will try underneath.

Thanks
John

Posted on: 2021/1/15 22:36
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It was too many years ago to remember any of the details but when I changed the Ultramatic in my 1954 Patrician we did it from beneath. Car was raised on jackstands, I don't recall if we borrowed as transmission jack or not, but think it would have been quite a challenge without one.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
John, would you post a thread on your removal when you do it. It would be interesting to see how it is done.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm not aware of any cherry picker style engine crane that's suited for top removal of engine and trans. Especially the chinese take out variety available today. It would have to be a ~5 ton so to get that kind of weight fully extended and not tip. Plus with the auto on, it's a near vertical pull to clear the body/cross frame so lift height is critical. AND if the car is jacked to get access, that raises that height and you have to lower while coming out to clear body. I see an overhead crane as a more likely approach. Old(er) timers used A-frames.
Maybe a truck unit, but they tend to take the clip off for access. My diesel pickup is made that way. Whole cab comes off.
On the P, it was all I could handle and had to reinforce the unit to get engine and manual out with the front off. Can't imagine working with auto with 2 ton. I pulled the CAD that way and hit the core support and wisely removed it going back in and for repair. Took opportunity to straighten and powder coat support, so all is not lost in removal.
More common with lift and trans jack bottom removal. Most don't have that luxury. Some of the small garages will do on the floor, even outside, but strong arm method and trained. My buddy took the diesel 5 speed out of my other 4x4 truck from below by hand/floor unit but they do that for a living. Plenty of room under in 4x4.
Investigate/plan any lift before you attempt. It's too late when things are dangling.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I just recently pulled my engine+transmission together from a 1953.

I tried first to just pull the engine, but found it VERY difficult (in my judgement, impossible) to get to the top bolts holding the engine to the transmission. The service manual says it's possible, but I couldn't figure out how. Somewhere else someone said folks had cut holes in from the passenger compartment to reach. I had an engine hoist, a transmission jack, and the car up on jack stands. The service manuals say and show it is possible, though, so it must be, I just couldn't figure out how to get a wrench or socket in there even with many different choices for extensions, universal joints, etc. You're experience may differ, but before I do anything else, I would evaluate that situation.

If you look in the service manual, you will see that even if you can get to the bolts, you have to have the car VERY high up, all the service photos show it being done from a lift with the technician standing up underneath. Someone else who had done this said you need at least 24" clearance, and I believe him.

In order to get the engine+transmission out, I would recommend taking as many things off as you can, including the manifolds, to reduce the weight. You also should remove the radiator, which isn't as difficult as people say.

However, removing the Grille completely is very difficult, as it comes out in many different pieces, some of which can only be reached from the wheelwells after the front tires have been removed. I only removed part of the grille and then was able to "angle" the thing out.

The engine+transmission weigh ~1000 lbs. Get a hefty engine hoist and a "load balancer", which you can get from Autozone for $50. It is a screw-mechanism that changes the pivot/lift point for your lift to allow you to angle the engine out. The engine hoists that you can rent from equipment rental places tend to be very beefy, I would suggest one of those, not a cheap one from Harbor Freight. I

What is very important is you have one (2 is better) friends around to help you angle the engine+trans out and otherwise move all this stuff around, it is very heavy/awkward and you can get in a bad situation pretty quickly.

I have some pictures on my phone if you need them.

Posted on: 2021/1/16 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks for all the tips. I will really try to take just the trans out. I can get the car about 3ft off the ground. I will take pictures and post them in my project blog on this site. I likey wont start for a couple of months since I an still getting parts ready that I need and warmer weather in my unheated garage would be nice.
John

Posted on: 2021/1/16 11:48
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved