Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel pump priming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
After letting my '48 sit for almost three years, I'm finally getting back to work on it. It was running with a newly rebuilt fuel pump when I parked it, and now I can't get fuel to the carb. I drained the old gas, put in five gallons of 90 ethanol free, and made sure fuel was getting to where the rubber line attaches to the metal line before the pump. Turning the engine over, and getting it to fire briefly by pouring a little gas in the carb, I can't get the pump to draw fuel. Do I need prime the pump?

Posted on: 2021/1/27 20:14
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel pump priming
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As a general rule the pumps do not need priming but if the fuel dried in the pump during the sit it is possible one or both of the valves might have stuck. If so and you can get some gas into the pump by removing the line and connecting a length of tubing to a can held above the pump, let gravity fill the filter bowl on the bottom with some fuel running into the pump and they might free on their own. Some increased air pressure in the tank while you crank might also force some fuel in and thru the pump to do the same thing.

If that doesn't work it is also possible you will need to remove the pump and verify the valves are OK and if it is an old pump with original materials that cannot stand additives in modern fuels, that it is not the diaphragm that is damaged.

Posted on: 2021/1/27 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, I'll try that. I had rebuilt the pump with a new kit before I parked it.

Posted on: 2021/1/27 20:50
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Update: she’s back on the road! The fuel pump had a stuck valve. Cleaned it, set the preload on the diaphragms, and reinstalled the pump. Started right up. All new tires, Optima 6v battery.

Another tidbit: I’ve always had trouble getting the 3/4” filter cover plug to seal on the top of the carb. Tried all kinds of fiber washers, o-rings to no avail. This time, scrounging around my shop I found a seal that came with an A/C compressor. Metal with an imbedded rubber seal. Violá!

Attach file:

jpeg  C2D910A3-0BC7-4C9A-AC9E-7C82B7D77E0C.jpeg (227.02 KB)
4371_601589a610467.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  68425007-C22A-4CF3-9D16-5478224CAEB0.jpeg (188.91 KB)
4371_601589bde873a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/1/30 11:31
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2021/2/2 8:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks! Good info.

Posted on: 2021/2/14 17:12
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved