Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55, '56 Paint code cross referencing to modern paint
Just popping in
Just popping in

'56 Dave
See User information
Hey Folks, '56 Dave here... new to the forum.
I'm restoring a '56 400 (KM in the colour). I am aware there is photo technology out there to identify colour with reasonable accuracy yet I would like to go with a recipe that is more commonly used... if one exists.

Cheers '56 Dave

Posted on: 2021/2/3 9:33
 Top  Print 

Re: '55, '56 Paint code cross referencing to modern paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Dave,

Welcome to Packard info; great site. Can't help you with your paint query, but there are LOTS of folks on here who can/will. I just noticed you were from Ontario and it's always good to see a fellow-Canuck join the ranks... good luck with your restoration. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/2/3 14:28
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 
LikeWow (2)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is KM Scottish Heather over Dover White?

Posted on: 2021/2/3 18:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

'56 Dave
See User information
Hello BigKev... Sorry for the horrendous delay in response... my bad.
Yes, Scottish Heather & Dover White.

Posted on: 2023/2/10 17:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI All: a link to save.
I found this alternate to the TCMglobal www.autocolorlibrary.com

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Packard

I like it as it gives all the years just scroll.
I'm not sure you'll be able to get "exact" paint for your car. But a reasonable match in modern finishes is a better choice anyway. DIYers, I recommend acrylic enamel.
A lot of the old pigments, etc. are obsolete/EPA issues. You have to run the old codes and most of the major suppliers that have the info archived require you to be a commercial acct anymore to even check. See your local authorized bodyshop or paint store for more info. I tried to get an account and have been turned down without a commercial address. I gave up my LLC.

Posted on: 2023/2/11 12:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And as I am sure you are aware, if you are painting the entire car you can come to a very close if not exact match with modern formulations to the old colors. If trying to paint just a panel or two, reds seem to have been a bit more prone to fade than other colors and could be impossible to match with a made to formula paint. That would be the time to see if one of the computer color match places could get close to what is on the car as it exists now. Also, the metallic flakes available today do not seem to come close in size to those available in the 50s. Trying to panel spot match to one of those metallic colors is all but guaranteed to stand out.

Posted on: 2023/2/11 13:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Most modern metallic colors don't match, you are right, because the flake is too big and too much used. If you custom select the size of aluminum flake and the level you can come quite close. There are only a couple of companies making the metal flake and they don't typically sell retail, so you need a good paint supplier working with you

Posted on: 2023/2/11 13:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved