Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Bumper Question???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
As I get ready to remove my bumpers to have them rechromed, I wanted to ask for some guidance on the 'correct' detail.
On the vertical 'bumperettes' there are hexagon indentations into which, the carriage bolts go to both secure the bumperettes, and assist in securing the main bumper to it's mounting brackets. My question is this: Is there a convention regarding colouring of the hexagons? On the front bumper, there is left what looks like either black and red paint or some kind of stickers. How did they come from the factory? All chrome? The hexagons painted or stickered red? and the carriage bolts, should they be chrome, red or black? I think any combination of the above would look okay, i.e. all chrome, or red hex and red bolts, or red hex/black, even chromed bolts; just want to do it 'factory'. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 19:47
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Bumper Question???
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The bumper guards should be all chrome and the hex heads of the bolts red.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 20:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Brian,
Probably bad description on my part. I have attached a picture. The bolt heads are round and they go into the hex indentation. Would I take it from your advice that the hex AND the bolt should be red?? I think that would look good and I can get some high quality red Letrasign vinyl adhesive material for the hexes and just spray paint the bolts? Chris.

And does anyone know the colour number of the correct red??

Attach file:

jpg  Collector plate4.jpg (65.67 KB)
121627_601f4e487aeb5.jpg 927X618 px

Posted on: 2021/2/6 21:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Ummm...not carriage bolts. Large hex head Packard specific bolts which fit the recess. I have plenty if you need....DAF

Posted on: 2021/2/6 21:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Years back we used Cook & Dunn's "Flame Red" hobby enamel.

Posted on: 2021/2/6 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
With the square on them to maintain orientation I think they may be considered a type of carriage bolt (if I’m remembering the terms correctly) and their heads were painted red over a plating that was probably zinc. The oval bolts were similarly plated but with their stainless caps polished and I believe that was a one-time thing with the plating done before the caps were crimped into place. It is probably better to locate reproductions or even NOS bolts.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 4:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Picture of a 39 bumper guard

Attach file:

jpg  bumper guard 9.jpg (62.55 KB)
1136_60205d47ae7f4.jpg 570X814 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you for the replies, Gents. I know John Ulrich sells the repro bolts with chromed heads for cheaper than I can have mine re-chromed, and for the teardrop iterations (the outside two) I would probably go with those. If the round ones are going to end up red, I will reuse the existing and find an appropriate red rattle can and match it to the hexagons that I will have the local sign company 'pop out' for me in an exterior grade decal material. And if I am getting the hexagons computer generated, I was thinking maybe a very thin black border would 'set them off'; might be overthinkin' it there, we'll see. At any rate I will post pics of my results. Thanks again for those taking the time to weigh in. Stay safe out there! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Oh, NOW I get it!!! Thanks for posting that pic, Long John. Now I understand what your were referring to David (Flackmaster) when you said Packard-specific hex bolts. As can be seen in the photo of my car, 'someone' has used regular round, chromed carriage bolts on my bumperettes, leaving the hex, for the most part, blank. If I could get my hands on a couple of those proper hex-head bolts, I'd be most appreciative. (sent you a PM David {Flackmaster}) It is amazing to me, as I go through this car, how many things I have come across where corners have been cut, substitutions have been made and compromises employed. I know I'll never get it perfect and TOTALLY get why people would 'jury rig' stuff on a Six to save money, as the end-value isn't that much, but I have sure tried NOT to do that as I have slogged through all the fixing and replacement on this car, and if for no other reason than 'I'll know', I think it's worth it. Maybe I'm nuts!! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 17:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...It often seems that our biggest competitor to the main Packard Suppliers is...ACE Hardware...or some other hardware store 'Just down the road'. Especially when our cars were the second 'Work' car. I know in San Diego where I grew up...Momma had the 'Best' car at home and 'Dad' had something older to go to work. Repairs were done from a jar of old bolts, or sometimes taken off the lawnmower or a bicycle! Prudence was pretty clean when she came to us...but she had a few bolts and nuts that would have made daf shudder! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/2/7 17:52
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved