Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

Jim in Boone, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery Size
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mickofbula
See User information
What are the correct dimensions of the battery for a1956 Patician? Are they still available and where? Thanks Mickofbula

Posted on: 2021/4/5 17:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery Size
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The OEM battery was a Group 60, no longer available from the major battery makers (AC Delco,Johnson Controls, and a few other lesser players) but as far as I know still available and quite expensive from the boutique battery makers. Also you can get a correct OEM appearance by buying a Group 60 false case cover to conceal a modern gel-type battery.

The specs for dimensions are easy to find, probably in the 1955/56 Packard specs which you can access for yourself on this site. But no currently produced 12-volt lead acid car battery matches the dimensions of the Group 60. Nor does any current battery match the layout of cells and posts (though just a cosmetic issue for those who care about such details.

After I tired of the $350 boutique batteries that didn't last for squat, I went to the Exide Classic Group 64/60, same height and width, a bit shorter requiring modification to the battery hold down. They gave great service, not sure if they are still available.

PS. National BCI industry standard dimensions for the Group 60 are:

Length 13-1/16
Width 6-5/16
Height 8-7/8

Posted on: 2021/4/5 17:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mickofbula
See User information
Thanks

Posted on: 2021/4/5 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I use a Wal-Mart grp 29. Deep cycle.

Fills battery tray. The hold down strap needs to be widen. About 1/4.

Or modify an aftermarket one.

Posted on: 2021/4/6 1:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved