Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Packard trunk hinges
Just popping in
Just popping in

topendkev
See User information
I'm having trouble with my 53 Packard Clipper trunk hinges and would appreciate any help, I know the hinges have a double action that pulls the trunk forward, but with the trunk fitted it they will not pull the trunk forward and the trunk has a one inch cap at the front. I have tried fitting the hinges to the body and bolting on a bar to test the action and they will pull forward. but not with the trunk bolted on. I have tried the best hinges from two sets which did need some work as some were out of shape and cracked. I have them as straight as I can and working freely, but will not perform the second function with the trunk on. I know I probably need replacement hinges but may end up with another bad set. Has anyone used any other hinges or repaired bent ones successfully?

Posted on: 2021/4/3 18:15
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Packard trunk hinges
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day topendkev,

Did you end up joining the Packard club here in Oz? If so, look up our Technical Officer, PeterT, in the Register of Members. He may be able to advise and might also have some hinges.

Posted on: 2021/4/3 19:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross may have some insight on this. Perhaps there is an adjustment or shiming that needs to happen. I remove my trunk lid, but never the hinges from the body.

Posted on: 2021/4/3 20:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

topendkev
See User information
Thanks for the replies, I got it sorted, the hinges were still not straight enough. I gave them a bit of persuasion with large hammer and vice and it now closes correctly. The hinges I had were all spread apart, probably from trying to close the trunk with partially ceased hinges.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 18:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you got it solved.

I had to laugh at your "ceased" (seized?) hinges.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 18:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My '55 hinges have been problematic as well, are they the same or similar?
Unfortunately under engineered.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 20:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With all the work on the hinges pay attention that the rivets which make up the center pivot for the movable hinge leaf did not get loosened or stressed. The late Craig Hendrickson's 55 had one of the rivets let loose which caused one hinge to fly apart and cause some grief. Don't remember if he had any body damage but do remember him saying it let go suddenly and raised or came down crooked. He said it was a project to get the lid aligned and get things working again.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 20:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello TopEnd Kev, Is your vehicle a 53 Clipper Deluxe and previously painted two tone blue? My 53 Clipper Deluxe went to Darwin in around 1985 or thereabouts. Peter T

Attach file:

jpg  T_March 1977_2.jpg (43.45 KB)
154_606a8592b9e9e.jpg 640X428 px

Posted on: 2021/4/4 22:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved