Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1931 shutter spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I've got pull my radiator/shutters apart as I apparently don't have a spring to assist closing the shutters. Am I correct that the tension of the spring should be just enough to pull the shutters closed? Or is the tension even less than that?

Also, are the shutters attached to the radiator shell or the radiator itself?

Posted on: 2021/4/11 8:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 1931 shutter spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The shutter are bolted to the front of radiator, so the radiator surround must first be removed. The shutter thermostat opens and closes the shutters, the spring is a relatively light spring to assist in closing the shutters.

Posted on: 2021/4/11 17:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 1931 shutter spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks very much. I was able to remove the shell, and the location of the spring was apparent (along the top of the shutter assembly were two grooved posts.) For the reference of any future searches, the distance between the spring posts was about 5.25 inches when the shutters are closed and about 6.25 inches when open. I was able to source a suitable spring from the local Ace Hardware, and after extending the spring a tad and mounting it, was able to achieve just enough pull to help close the shutters. A bit of lubrication on the linkage helped too.

Posted on: 2021/4/12 6:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved