Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1951 Packard 200 keys
Just popping in
Just popping in

NJB
See User information
I just purchased a 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan 4 Door, with no keys. Does anyone know where to find keys to fit this car? I have some 5 wafer blanks, but none of them will turn in the locks.

None of the locksmiths in my area know anything about these cars. Any suggestions on where to find a working key, or perhaps someone has an old key lying around somewhere? Wishful thinking, I know.

Posted on: 2021/4/23 12:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 Packard 200 keys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is nothing special about the locks and any locksmith should be able to make keys or even re-key it using un-worn parts. If the locksmiths with whom you spoke do not know, they should not be in business. However, then will probably want to have the locks in the shop rather than coming out and working on the lock in the car.

Posted on: 2021/4/23 12:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day NJB,
to PackardInfo and for including your '51 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Register.

Posted on: 2021/4/23 16:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

NJB
See User information
My husband made a few keys that fit the door, but when you put them in the ignition, they bend. Not sure if the ignition is the original one or not.

The ignition key is very thin on the end, which may be why it keeps bending. Is there a special locksmith that can make a key for this car?

Posted on: 2021/4/23 16:53
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

NJB
See User information
Thank you. I am attempting to restore this Packard to it's original glory. I'm sure I will have tons of questions along the way.

Posted on: 2021/4/23 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...It sounds like the key teath have been figured out...Ace Hardware has the blank...I've had a few made at ACE...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/4/23 18:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Story isn't straight. First no keys, then ign key is thin and bends?

You can get a "universal" ignition switch that comes with keys, if you just want to fire it up or check things out, temporarily. I recall the P ignition switches were a bit hard to come by. But the lock set is common. Mine was missing completely, but I had keys?
I suspect with the virus, etc. locksmiths aren't as happy to come to you as in the past, so you may have to take the parts out and take to them or send out. If you don't find anyone locally,
www.jessers.com can make keys, rekey, or repair the ignition cylinder or door lock cylinders. He's done work for me. He's located in Akron OH.

Posted on: 2021/4/23 20:12
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

NJB
See User information
Fish ‘n Jim - To clarify, I purchased the Packard, with no keys. Bought 10 5 wafer key blanks, and made a key to unlock the door. When I tried this same key in the ignition, it wouldn’t work. After thinning out the end, it worked, but keeps breaking.

Am still working on getting the correct keys, to open the locks, but will figure it out.

Posted on: 2021/4/24 21:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
A long while back I got the correct key blanks from Max Merrit or Kanter, cannot remember which. Anyhow, it helped out a lot.

Posted on: 2021/4/24 23:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jerome, Packard used two keys, one for the ignition and another one for the doors, trunk and glove box.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 12:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved