Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 119

29tons, John Sauser, kevinpackard, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hi, is anyone familer with the 700 R4 swap offed by Speed Gems, Inc. I have been reshearching them as I wish to remove my Ultramatic for a 700 R4. The Ultramatic is not working again! and I'm sick of it!. I happened to have a rebuilt 700R4 from another project, but would like to know if this swap kit they sell really works?. Rather than have the old drive shaft retrofitted. I decided to have a new one made. As I have a 56 Clipper, it's Dana 44 rear end. All the parts are available to convert the drive shaft to use 1310 U joints. I after I do this I will post all the parts and numbers used, incase other with to do the same thing. Dave

Posted on: 2021/4/28 16:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2021/4/28 16:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From reports from just about everyone who has installed the 700R4 using the Bendtsen kit it has been a very satisfactory mod. The biggest downside is it only works on column shift cars because there has been no way devised to adapt the 56 electric shift assembly to the GM trans. One of the European posters said a Rolls Royce gear shift actuator from the same era as the trans will bolt onto the 700R4. If that is so then electrically it looks like the Packard push buttons could be connected to signal that assy. I bought an actuator but ran out of ambition to try to match them up so nothing is proven yet.

One of the most difficult mods according to some who have done the conversion is to follow the instructions and weld or fasten an adapter to the Packard accelerator linkage at the carb to work the 700R4 throttle cable. Rather than doing it at the carb a poster from Spain connected his cable utilizing some of the old throttle linkage.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20922&post_id=204906#forumpost204906

Some detailed photos of the kit and installation can be found here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8939&post_id=95724#forumpost95724

The other fabrication needed is a new rear cross member. Apparently Bendtsen decided to no long furnish that part in the kit -- or at least none was included in the kit Stewart bought.

Posted on: 2021/4/28 19:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes, The company is Bentsen's Speed Gems. According to the web site. The rear cross member is available at extra cost. Also the site says contact Bob. He has worked out a solution using the origional stock push button assembly. I personally have a column mount shift. He also sells the the cable kit for the lockup converter.

Posted on: 2021/4/29 7:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes, this is the one. Years ago I had driven a few Packards with the Crysler 727 converstion in them, and peronnally didn't like the way they shifted. But a 700R4 with lockup should be perfect provided they actually hold up and work.

Thanks Dave

Posted on: 2021/4/29 7:43
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved