Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 headlight wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I received my rebuilt headlight switch the other day and now have it installed. I have parking lights, dim and bright. My question is that when my switch is in the bright position and I depress the light dimmer switch, only the left headlight goes to the dim position. The wiring diagram that goes with my wiring harness does not show the right bright setting going through the dimmer switch. I'm sure the harness company provided a correct wiring harness but I am curious as to whether both lights are to go to dim when the dimmer switch is pushed. Does anyone have further information concerning this operation.
Thanks to all.

Posted on: 2021/4/29 14:21
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 headlight wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an old post at AACA on the 37 headlight switch combinations that might provide some insight on which bulbs and filaments are supposed to light and when.https://forums.aaca.org/topic/330346-1937-headlight-switch-positions-six-115c/

Posted on: 2021/4/29 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, I believe your headlights are working as designed. There is a low setting with both low beams; there is a high setting with both high beams; and a third setting with the LH low beam and the RH high beam. All this woks in conjunction with the light switch and dimmer switch. This third setting was to allow for good illumination of the shoulder of the road and at the same time dim the driver side headlight when meeting another vehicle. This was thought to provide optimum lighting for the driver while not blinding the oncoming driver. It is all described in your owners manual. Others here probably more about this.

Posted on: 2021/4/30 12:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. Yes, that is exactly how they are operating and is the way I thought they should work based on the wiring schematic. I could not come up with the actual reason why they would work that way and I do thank you for your information that does, upon reflection, make sense. I have a shop manual, but now I guess I do need to get an owner's manual, n'est pas?

Posted on: 2021/4/30 17:19
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved