Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 141

Dads 56, Ted Kitzmiller, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series Custom 8 890×15 tires
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
I recently found a set of new Coker Firestone 890x15 wide whitewalls for a good price. Since I'm looking for a Custom 8, I thought it may be good to have them on hand. Will an 890x15 be suitable for a 22nd Series car or will they rub and cause excessive speedometer error? I know they are a bit bigger than the original factory tire but that most radial replacements already have a significantly wider tread.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 1:25
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Re: 22nd Series Custom 8 890×15 tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm not optimistic. The rear tires on 22nd series cars are a tight fit.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 7:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No personal experience with that size but like bkazmer I am quite doubtful they will clear the rear fenderwell lip.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 8:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I was speaking to a fellow at a car show around here a year or two ago and he had some puggy tires on a 23rd series and told me that he had to put them on without air in them and then blew them up. I asked what would happen if he had a flat...he said 'That is a problem for AAA white I watch! Go figure...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/6/18 9:41
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Another way to tell is if it'll even fit on the OEM rims. I think they're 6", and that's a 9" tread width.
It's common for mounting issues when you convert from bias to radials. The profile is much different. Bias are closer to "75"s aspect ratio. So you have to know the whole tire size to get an idea.
The conversion is simple but people tend to want to put wider tires on than will fit, and tire places are more than happy to sell them. When I bought some 8 x 15 eqiv radial WWs from Coker they were pushing for 235s, but I opted for the closer 215, and they would not clear in rear on the Cad. You can put a cardboard or suitable tarp on the ground and put tire/rim upside down, then roll up over the drum from below and there's better clearance that way. You'll only mount them deflated once.

Posted on: 2021/6/19 8:57
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved