Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine will not turn over
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I have had problems getting the engine to turn over. Last fall it got water into #7,8 cylinder exactly how not sure. The engine was turning over with starter motor but eventually stopped completely, I removed head and had water in the cylinder. Since then i cleaned out cylinder 7, 8
Polished up , honed and cleaned as best I couldI could turn engine with prying the ring gear I checked all cylinders , polished and honed. It would turn the engine quite easily with the pry. I re assembled with new head gasket. Using remote starter and 6 volt battery in only turned over 4-5 rotations. I used 12 volt battery it spun engine maybe 10 seconds and seized up and the starter only clicked. Now nothing moves. I am lost as to why the 12v would not crank it

Posted on: 2021/6/21 11:50
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine will not turn over
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
12v will usually not fry a 6v starter. Check if the starter gear isn't jammed up on the flywheel. Give it a few hard raps to turn the starter and try again. Most likely the starter motor has just quit from old age.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 13:04
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'd replace that starter.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 14:10
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've been running a 6v Delco starter on 12v for years without issue. But I did replace the starter solenoid with a 12v equivalent as those are what can get toasted on 12v. Sometimes they get fried open and sometimes fried closed.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 9:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Sorry for your issue. Will it turn with the plugs out. Could be hydraulic lock if you missed something with the water in the cylinders.

Alternately, will the starter turn if removed and powdered on the bench?

Posted on: 2021/6/28 14:26
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
The starter was rebuilt by a reliable company here is Seattle. They did a complete check out again and a bench test with a load. It was found to be working fine.
I out it back in and tried again. Bothe new 6 volt battery and then 12 v. Plugs out. Both times only only clicks.
I can turn the flywheel ring gear with a pry bar.
When I turn with pry I can move about 2-3 teeth at a time. . However turn to the right ( IEE from back) no noise, turn to the left a definite click,click,click sound.but not from the starter, but more from the main bearing area.

Posted on: 2021/6/30 10:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Spun main bearing?

Posted on: 2021/6/30 16:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Can you turn using the big nut in front, the vibration dampener?

Posted on: 2021/6/30 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If starter's "good", wired right, has a good ground, and it's not turning with 6V, as designed, then there's something else wrong or the starter is not putting out.
In troubleshooting, exchanging parts is one way to diagnose faults. If no change, rules out as cause of the problem.

6V wiring has to carry more current to output the same wattage P=VA, so is larger. No power factor in DC. Doubling voltage produces/converts to more heat. V=IR Heat is not good for electricals. R is a function of temperature. higher temp = higher resistance.

Since it turns with pry bar, then it's not "stuck" per se, just difficult to turn. It should turn by hand, if normal.
There's a tool to turn the flywheel but can't always get it in there on the car. They only turn one way, opposite won't help, but technically the motor doesn't know the difference. They wear in the direction of rotation.
Could be many things, from simply gummed up to major malfunction. Guessing what it is on the internet won't solve nor diagnose your problem.
crystal ball; part or all tear down is in the near future.
If it's the L8, there's side cover to access the valve train.

Posted on: 2021/7/1 9:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
Thanks for the good information. It seems odd I can turn it over but the starter cannot
The battery 6 volt is being checked now. It is only showing about 250 CCA fully charged should be close to 900. Maybe a dead cell, although it was new 2 years ago. What battery is common to use for my engine ? 288 cu in. My cables are 1/0 .
If the battery is fully charged and the starter is good and the engine can be turned by hand it has got to be an internal problem??
What can I see from removing the pan
I just keep hoping not to pull the engine, i guess,
Thanks all,
Mike

Posted on: 2021/7/1 16:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved