Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine support
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
what is a good way to support the engine in a 1949 288 while changing the front mounts?

Posted on: 2021/8/26 16:20
 Top  Print 

Re: engine support
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most use a floor jack and a piece of plywood or lumber with a surface area large enough to cover a fair portion of the oil pan so as to spread out the weight and not dent the pan. All you need is a very slight amount of lift to take the tension off the rubber.

You could also use a cherry picker or an overhead hoist with a flat lifting strap worked up in the area between the crossmember and pan. That method is a bit more cumbersome since you will need to work around the hood and various hanging parts of the hoisting method to make sure things are positioned so the strap does not slip.

Posted on: 2021/8/26 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: engine support
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bear

When I want to control the amount of lift with any degree of precision I normally use a scissor jack . . . that type of jack also is not likely to relax with time, so it’s OK to leave installed for longer durations. As HH56 said, spreading the load on the pan is wise as the top pad on a scissor jack is not normally flat.

dp

Posted on: 2021/8/27 0:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved