Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tune up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I had my car tuned last week with new parts from Kanter. It starts good and idles smoothly as it did before. This is the problem: when I shift to 2nd gear and accelerate hard, the car bogs, not like it is missing, but like it’s not getting enough gas. It’s okay when I shift to 3rd. The tune up shop said it adjusted the carb and when I took it back, he said I had bad gas and to just continue to drive it. There are 2 fuel filters , one at the carb and one in line near the tank. From what I can tell, they’d are both new replacement filters of what was on the car before. Any ideas on what may be causing this. If I just cruise slowing as I would normally drive, it acts okay

Posted on: 2021/8/26 12:17
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Re: Tune up
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can think of some possibilities that might be worth checking. If the car had miles or maybe some tank problems before the filter by the tank was installed there is a possibility of rust particles floating in the fuel bowl at the bottom of the fuel pump. Suction could be pulling them up and an intermittently clogged screen could be an issue.

If the tank was treated with a sloshing compound and placed in certain positions as it dried some have had issues with the compound sort of forming a valve at the end of the fuel pickup opening -- although that causes a more persistent problem than just accelerating in second. Something laying in the tank and moving around the inlet opening with rapid acceleration or deceleration couldn't be ruled out either.

If the filter near the carb is the old glass bowl ceramic type then if the car was dormant and fuel evaporated out of the bowl a few times the ceramic could have a deposit of varnish that is partially blocking the filter. I have personally had this condition where you could look at the filter, blow air thru and swear all was good only to have the varnish in the pores block the fuel so the quantity able to flow thru was seriously reduced.

Another possibility if the rubber hose between the fuel line connection at the bottom of the radiator and the fuel pump inlet is old is the inner lining has cracked and a chunk of the lining could be loose enough to be sucked outward with the increased fuel flow under certain conditions and is partially blocking the stream.

Posted on: 2021/8/26 12:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Is the vacuum advance still connected?I have the same car as you and disconnecting the advance line and plugging the fitting at the carbureator could be some help.Sometimes its hard to distinguish between a fuel supply problem and a sluggish vacuum advance.Easy to do and evaluate the result. good luck.Bear

Posted on: 2021/8/26 16:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bear, the purpose of the distributor vacuum unit is to facilitate smooth, stumble-free engine speed increase when manifold vacuum drops (i.e. when the accelerator is aggressively depressed).

If your stumble was lessened when you blocked off the vacuum line, that most likely means your vacuum unit was defective (leaking, not able to hold a vacuum).

Sure, its possible to have decent performance without a distributor vacuum unit, Packards and others didn't have them as factory units until 1935. But its use gave more refined performance.

Posted on: 2021/8/26 17:07
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
You could always pull the plugs (or a few) and check the conditions of the carb mixture . Usually that’s a great tell tale sign of if it’s rich or lean . I’d like to check the accelerator pump operation . Maybe a missing pin or clip on the carburetor ?

Posted on: 2021/8/27 5:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it wasn't doing this before the "tune-up" then there's a high probability this issue centers around/results from the tune-up.
I'd be looking at the "carb adjustment" they did. Maybe a tad too lean.
Generally, we they fall on their face, it's the accelerator pump. This would happen in all the gears not just 2nd. Since the ignition is fresh, then the fuel mixture can be at fault.
The old bad gas explanation is a bit passe'. How about a mechanic who made an error?
Not a biggee to pull a 2 bbl and rebuild it either. At least look for crud in it or the float hanging low, so there's not enough gas in the bowl for acceleration. Rosanne Roseannadanna said it succinctly, it's always something...

Posted on: 2021/8/27 9:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Just to be clear is the vacuum advance tube the one from the carb to the manifold, or the one from the carb to the distributor?

Posted on: 2021/8/27 13:12
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Paul...The one from the carburetor to the distributor. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/8/27 13:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Ernie is correct

Posted on: 2021/9/14 6:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I want to share a problem I had with my '51. It would bog down whenever you gave her the gas. I chased the problem for months. My attempt to solve the issue included but was not limited to the following

1) New plugs
2) Rebuild carburetor
3) Replace fuel filter
4) Check timing
5) Replace point, condenser, & rotor
6) Replace Dist. Cap
6a) Performed dry and wet compression test
7) Replace spark plug wires
8) Pull distributor to check vacuum advance and bearings
9) Cleaned aire cleaner
10) Have carburetor rebuilt by professional

I took it to a local car show and the wife drove her '55 Caribbean. There was a problem with the '55 so I drove it home following the wife who drove the '51. I discovered that when she would accelerate black smoke came out of the tail pipe.

I examined the air cleaner and discovered that a mat on the inside of tne top of the air cleaner would get sucked down over the carburetor cutting off the air flow.

Over the years the mat shrank and the wire mesh that should hold it up didn't.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 19:31
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved