Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

underside paint color
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
I always assumed Packard painted the underside of fenders, hood, etc body color, but while restoring my 1940 160 I am finding black on the underside of the hood, color under the trunk and couldn't tell what was under the fenders. Would be easier and cheaper to paint undersides of fenders and hood black; is this incorrect? Also, I think the body color paint was on the welting and door hardware, although it seems crude. Opinions? Thanks!! Brad

Posted on: 2021/9/27 20:19
 Top  Print 

Re: underside paint color
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
Underside of the hood and fenders should be black. The only body color under the hood is on the firewall....

Posted on: 2021/9/27 23:57
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The fender welt is always black...On the door hardware some is painted and some is plated, depending on the model....

Posted on: 2021/9/28 0:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
...are this rules also valid for cars from 1924 ... ?

Posted on: 2021/9/28 5:15
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks. Darrin 180! That is what I had planned to do, but had been advised by another "expert" that the welting was painted and that cars were painted after assembly.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 6:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Karl, as a general rule, yes. Everything from the body down was painted "chassis black" - it standardized production and didn't show dirt or oil, so, it was used in all the places likely to show dirt and oil! Packard followed this rule for quite a while.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 9:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The welting on my all-original 1940 110 was painted so curious that it should have been black! Of course, mine was as oddity having a two-tone interior with blue seat armrests and blue rear compartment window moldings, and the standard wood grain in the front.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 11:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
.. thanks for answer 1929 PG.
I specialy mean the hood underside and the hoodside inside.
Karl

Posted on: 2021/9/28 11:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Insides of the hood were generally painted body colors on the 1920s cars. I've seen some painted black but I don't think that's kosher as it wouldn't make sense to paint the inside one color and the outside another. That said, I've seen a LOT of 1920's firewalls painted black regardless of what color the car was, so, I tend to think that's probably correct, although I've not seen it addressed specifically in any Packard literature. Have seen original unrestored cars where this was the case tho, so, I tend to think it was their normal practice, but from the body down, and everything below, black was the norm.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 12:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
1929PG,thanks again for answer.
I´ve a LOT of pictures from Packards Engineroom early 20th and 30. I´ll paint the side of the hood in dark/dark red. underneath the top of the hood black.The top of the hood black like the whole area
above the side molding include the sidemolding self. So ... the car will be Black/Dark Red/Black. My preferred color
for the firewall is dark red but I´m not 100% sure till now.
Karl

Posted on: 2021/10/1 4:43
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved