Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive in a 1941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...A member of our Model A Ford Club has purchased a 1941 Packard Convertible...several of our members also have Packards. I don't yet know what model. He says it has an overdrive in it. What should I expect to find when I look at it? Would/could it be stock, or would it be something that was added later in the life of the car? Something tells me that we are going to have this machine in the shop...Our father who art in heaven...Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2021/10/27 12:08
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive in a 1941 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would most likely be stock as Packard first offered the R6 version OD in 39. The 41 unit would be the R9 version which was used starting in 40 and lasted thru mid 48. The R9 relay on the firewall is a black squarish box with 6 terminals and about the same size as a voltage regulator. Under the car, the solenoid is on the passenger side and has 4 terminals. Lockout lever is also on the passenger side.

R9s had an issue which for some drivers occurred more than once so Packard offered a retrofit kit when R11s came out in mid to late 48 and owners could swap out the earlier units if they wanted to buy the kit. There is a slim chance the OD could be the later R11 version. That unit has a smaller 4 terminal rectangular case relay with a fuse on the side. Solenoid is 2 terminal and it and the lockout lever moved over to the drivers side.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Thank you Howard...I'll let everyone know when I view the car in a couple of weeks or so...Ernie

Posted on: 2021/10/27 16:56
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have an R9 overdrive in my 39 120 and it has always performed flawlessly. It greatly improves the drive-ability of the car as I have no trouble doing 75 mph on the freeway. Other drivers are surprised to see a 39 Packard on the road and even more surprised when I pass them!

Posted on: 2021/10/27 19:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved