Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

glove box
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Does anyone have a cardboard insert for the glove box on a 1949deluxe four door sedan.I would like to buy it,either nos or good used.Please advise price.Thx

Posted on: 2021/11/29 7:58
 Top  Print 

Re: glove box
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are ebay vendors who make and sell them. Here is one ebay listing and you might also check with Ron Carpenter. Several have bought from him over the years and there is another restoration supply vendor mentioned later in that same thread.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's not a difficult project to make a serviceable one from the painted cardboard used for package shelves.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 10:03
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Last time I looked no one is making the 51-54 style glove box liners. They are folded black/dark grey thick card/cover stock and a bit of a "leather" texture if I remember right.

If someone is making them, I'd like to know.

If I can find a source that stocks similar material locally, I'd have a go at it. But you have to get larger than normal sheets and find something of the right texture and color.

That isn't something I want to take a chance on ordering online as a carton (500-600 pieces) on that size sheet can range from $500-$1000. If I can find it locally then I make be able to buy a few sheets, even if at a higher per sheet price. Also online, you really cant get a feel for the texture and thickness. I have an original, but it was badly soiled and spitting at the seams.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 12:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If I can find a source that stocks similar material locally, I'd have a go at it. But you have to get larger than normal sheets and find something of the right texture and color.

Locally we have an artists supply and custom frame shop that stocks cardboards to be used for art projects as well as matting for photos. Most of the stock is around 3 x 4 foot sheets. This particular store has a fairly decent selection in varied finishes, colors, textures & thicknesses so if you can find a store like that nearby you might find some cardboard in reasonable quantity. Another thought is check some places that sell wallpaper or contact paper. Some of those faux leather finishes may be in a texture similar to the original and that material could be applied over regular chipboard.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just remembered I had an unsoiled, but brittle liner in a spare glove box that I bought just for the script and lock parts.

It's got a leather/pebbled coated texture on the visible side. Plain flat uncoated card stock like texture on back. Approx 1/16 inch thick. The one in this box is brittle, already chipped and firmly glued in. So there is no removing it without destroying it any further. But serves as a good example of original material and construction.

It's cut at an angle so the front edge sites just below the reinforcement rib on the inside of the box front.

Attach file:

jpg  20211130_122803.jpg (237.41 KB)
1_61a670a87fad9.jpg 864X1920 px

jpg  20211130_122912.jpg (209.14 KB)
1_61a670ba080fe.jpg 864X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:45
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if the original might have been some of Packards "Leatherette" fake vinyl leather look upholstery that was glued to ordinary cardboard.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rubbing my nail over the textured surface, it feels "papery", as opposed to vinyl or leather if that makes sense. Also, I dont see any obvious signs of multiple layers, especially where it's chipped/torn.

The rips/chips are the same ragged edges front and back. Don't see any front "layer" that more than likely would have torn a bit differently or at least separated a bit at the point of the rip/tear.

So I would say it's manufactured as a single piece as opposed to another piece bonded to card stock.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 13:56
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you measure the thickness, look for leather "look" or "grain" embossed black card/paper stock and should be able to find similar. Glue, staple, seam binding construction, likely.
Paper goes by Lbs per 500 (8.5x11") sheets(ream)not thickness, so may have to convert. There's supplier charts for that.

Since plastics took over, not much paper used for this. You could find some flocked sheet plastic that would look ok, that they use for glove box liners now. I have leather grained black PVC sheet that I used to use for making mud flaps, etc. so a local plastics supplier or fabricator may know where to obtain or stock. Cuts with a utility knife, glue or weld.
Also, fairly easily to lay up some fiberglass and make one then paint anything you want, including flock. That's what I'm going to do when I get around to making the heater vent duct for the Caddy. Going to use the old cardboard as the mold since no one makes that part. To make one out of card board would require a big press & dies and some other tools, I don't have.
Another one; measure and look at the reproduction cardboard ones that are available for other makes and models and maybe able to adapt.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The reproduction 22/23 series Packard glove boxes offered by Ron Carpenter are excellent and I believe they are still available.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved