Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What voltage regulator with 1954 patrician
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JuanS
See User information
Can anyone tell me the original delco voltage regulator number that came with the 1954 patrician? The one that was on is an after-market pile of rust inside and out with no brand. Looking to buy a replacement. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2021/11/27 23:56
 Top  Print   

Re: What voltage regulator with 1954 patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original regulator for the Patrician 5406 model is a Delco 1118829. All the 54 specifications are in the April 1954 ServIce Counselor Vol 28 #4 which you can download from the literature archive. The regulator adjustment specs are also given starting on page 16.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL28NO4.pdf

I do not know how successful you will be in finding an original regulator but most of the aftermarket units from national parts stores such as Napa seem to work OK. Napa lists their cross for that Delco number as an Echlin ECH VR1071. No idea if it is still available. Several have also found modern solid state replacements in place of the original types.

Posted on: 2021/11/28 0:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JuanS
See User information
Thanks again for the information. I’ll have to make the investment. Quick question… How do you test for proper tension at the generator belt?

Posted on: 2021/12/2 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard gave a rather lengthy procedure for adjusting the fan and generator drive belt with use of a special tool. You might check out the article starting on page 43 in this service counselor.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO9.pdf

I believe to just check you can still push down on the belt between pulleys and have it deflect a small amount. Just maybe less than the 1/2" they found to be unsatisfactory before developing the tool. The previous engines used a larger width belt so harder to push. Perhaps the 1/2" on the 51 and later engines resulted in too loose a belt. It is also important to have the proper width belt. Several have found some modern cross or replacement belts are narrower and rather than grabbing the grooves near the outer circumference of the pulley the narrow width allows it to fall down too far and ride the inner diameter.

I don't find a decent photo showing the bare special tool but basically I believe it was similar to the other special tool used for tightening the power steering pump. Essentially a curved lever with a provision to fit over the head of the front generator to bracket mounting bolt which positioned the lever part extending up behind the generator case. There might have been a hollow bolt head or maybe just a square hole in something welded at the bottom of the tool with a recess for the mounting bolt head provided a place for the torque wrench to attach. In using, when the torque wrench was moved to the specified torque it rotated the lever and applied the leverage force against the back of the generator to pivot the generator in the bracket and tighten the belt.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved