Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 180 excessive valve noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
1941 180 valve noise, The engine was not run in 35 years. After starting some of the valves seem to have excessive noise. I think I read somewhere that 1941 160 and 180s had hydraulic lifters. The engine has new oil and filter and oil pressure warm is slightly above 40 psi. But I think at least 2 lifter are collapsed.Is there any tricks to get them pumped up. Also all cylinders have compression so there are no valves stuck open.

Posted on: 2021/12/4 16:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 180 excessive valve noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, the 356 engine has hydraulic lifters. I had one collapsed lifter in my '49 [23rd Series] Custom. You can see the filthy oil gushing from the collapsed lifter in the photo. Made a heck of a racket. It has since been replaced, the missing oil canister replaced, and the gunk cleaned out of the sump. The oil is now a golden amber and the engine is very quiet.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1610.JPG (219.81 KB)
188_61abddb105f4f.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2021/12/4 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
dose the head need to come off to replace the lifter

Posted on: 2021/12/4 18:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2021/12/4 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Having partly gone through this same problem, I want to note that I tried to figure out which lifters were bad using a stethoscope and listening while the engine was running, putting the stethoscope on the head. That didn't work very well (really hard to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from), and it appears I replaced the wrong ones.

Ross Miller suggested in an earlier thread that the only way he has been able to successfully diagnose which lifter(s) were bad was by placing a stethoscope directly on the valve body while the engine is running and warmed up. Basically the same setup as in his video for adjusting solid lifters on a 1953:

Ross Miller - Speedwell Garage, Adjusting the lifters on a 1953

Another indicator he mentioned for a particularly bad lifter was oil spurting from the valve body itself, as in the above photo.

The basic message is - don't trust whatever you think you hear, if you aren't putting the stethoscope directly on the valve body with the valve covers off and the engine running warm. You may get a false reading, and end up doing the whole process (including removing and replacing the head) again, like I will end up having to do, whenever I find the time again.

Posted on: 2021/12/5 1:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Ross Miller suggested in an earlier thread that the only way he has been able to successfully diagnose which lifter(s) were bad was by placing a stethoscope directly on the valve body while the engine is running and warmed up...

Don't know, if this is the only way but a way, established many, many decades ago. At test drives a stethoscope was standard equipment.

Attach file:

jpg  test drive in the Moscow area in 1945.jpg (23.96 KB)
757_61acc0cab3920.jpg 500X349 px

Posted on: 2021/12/5 8:29
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved