Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring connectors
Just popping in
Just popping in

FrankIII
See User information
I have a 42 Packard 110 convertible - in the process of rewiring the entire car (Rhode Island Wire is wonderfull). I am missing some connectors that handle (4) GM blade terminals - RI Wire has the one in and one out but not the two in and two out.
Does anyone know where to get these bakelite(?) Connectors??

Frank

Posted on: 2021/11/29 16:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring connectors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know which ones you mean as they are also used in my 47. I have yet to find any vendor still selling anything other than the 2 wire inline Wade type connectors. To get the 3 or 4 terminal I suspect it will be either cleaning and reusing the old ones or finding someone with a parts car. Be aware that there are two types of 4 wire connectors that look the same. One type has all 4 terminals connecting together and the other has independent connectors inside so is just a pair of 2 wire inline connectors sharing the same 4 hole housing.

If you want to change the style terminals to the more modern .250 quick connects then Y n Z has some 3 and 4 wire connectors but to use those, in addition to being for modern style terminals you would also need to change the type terminal on the wire end. The connectors hold the tab ends so require the female end on the wires .https://www.store.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/electrical-terminals-and-connectors/inline-connectors.html I believe Y n Z also has a minimum order so keep that in mind if you want to try these and still need to get other suppplies.

Attach file:

jpg  modern 4 wire.jpg (9.17 KB)
209_61a54d65b1c63.jpg 390X311 px

Posted on: 2021/11/29 16:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

FrankIII
See User information
Thanks for the insight

Posted on: 2021/11/29 16:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are these different than the "Douglas" Connectors.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

FrankIII
See User information
The originals are refered to as GM Wade connector - not aware of the one that you are referencing.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Douglass style connector was also used by Packard but not as often as the Wade type until maybe they started being used more with 22-23 series into early 50s. The Douglass connectors are round and not nearly as much a pain to remove from a terminal as the Wade. In many cases the modern .156 diameter bullet connectors can be substituted for the Douglass and still work in the original inline connectors. Not so with the GM Wade type. Those are very similar in looks to modern .250 quik connects but the Wade tabs are in fact slightly wider, thicker and shorter than the modern variety. They can be a real pain to remove from the mating terminal and will not work well or mosttimes at all in terminals designed for the modern tab version. The Wade tab or male end was usually on the wire while in the modern version, the female end is typically on the wire.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When using modern insulated spade style or bullet connectors, I always make the female side the "hot" side. So in the event anything ever gets disconnected, it provides some short protection against grounding. So the male (exposed) side is "dead" when disconnected.

Most of my Douglas connectors disintegrated upon disassembly of my original harness, so I replaced them with insulated bullet connectors as needed.

Also, since I pretty much had my entire car apart, and replaced the entire harness, I added a few couple new bullet connect/disconnect points in places that made sense, to help with future disassembly/reassembly.

For example, between the front parking light housing and the front end harness\junction blocks. With as many times I have had the grill off the car, this has made it much easier.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

FrankIII
See User information
I'm actually on the front running lights and wanted a four way. I am trying to keep things as original as possible. Thanks to both of the responders for input.

Frank

Posted on: 2021/11/29 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day FrankIII,

Your first post, so to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '42 110 Convertible in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 20:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not always possible to maintain originality in a restoration. You can recreate anything at great cost per each.
I'd let RI do what they can do with what they can get, and be satisfied so long as it works. Probably in a place where no one will see or can be hidden or taped. I'd update to a modern equivalent so they can be bought again in the future, if needed.

Most likely they were made by Packard Electric and only a certain few of the more common ones remain in production. Essex Wire was another early harness suppler.
The light bulb manufacturer probably dictated the connector so may research back from there. A 4 way would be dual element(hi-lo, etc.). They eventually standardized but much later.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 20:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved