Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Soft roof repair
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I am looking for info to repair or replace the roof on 37 120 series.It has had silicone smeared on at some time in its past life. Any help would be appreciated

Posted on: 2021/12/8 19:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Soft roof repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
What area do you live in?

Posted on: 2021/12/9 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Last time I looked (recently) Restoration Supply or Restoration Specialties continues to offer roof topping material in a couple of different grain patterns. The cotton batting is a common upholstery shop item. Keep your fingers crossed that the wood structure is still sound. Perhaps someone who has done the job recently can speak to what issues there might be with the perimeter moulding.

Posted on: 2021/12/9 19:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I live in BC Canada and Packards and parts are few and far between in Western Canada.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 20:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I am looking for information on where to start opening the roof. I dont want to cause any damage as the roof material seems sound but the edge has silicone smeared on and around it.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Can you post some pictures? I have never been a big fan of using silicon. I feel there are better products that are available.

Posted on: 2021/12/11 18:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I have removed all the silicone and the roof is in good shape. I am hoping for some information on what to use to reseal it with. I am unable to load pictures.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 21:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm unsure what you're asking. Are you asking about sealing the perimeter edge where the soft top meets the steel roof panel, or about just how to seal the rubber fabric itself? If in good condition the roof fabric itself might benefit from some preventative type coating but should not require any sealant to be water-resistant unless it is beginning to fail.

For the latter if that was your question, years back blackwall tire paint was a favorite to get a bit more life from an old roof, others used Butcher's Wax, in modern times many use Armor-All as a preventative treatment.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 8:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
The roofing material is in good shape. I will treat it before spring. It appears to be held in place by a u shaped retainer ring around the perimeter and this is where it needs to be resealed, Between the retainer and the main roof. I am thinking of a bead of urethane glass sealer but like most things if I am wrong that would be almost impossible to remove.
I am unable to load a JPG picture and am not smart enough to know how to change the format

Attach file:

jpg  DSC00724.JPG (163.32 KB)
224904_61b7dc6f68219.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/12/13 18:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
Guess I figured out how to post a pictureBut I am not sure how I did it. My computer skills are in the c- range.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC00725.JPG (142.59 KB)
224904_61b7dd3f99490.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/12/13 18:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved