Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 French Blue for Packard Victoria Super Eight Convertible
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rob Rose
See User information
Looking for the formula and sample for French Blue that I think was a 1948 color only offered on the convertible.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 7:27
1925 Packard 326 Runabout
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible.
1948 Chrysler Windsor Highlander Sedan
1931 Ford Model A Tudor
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
1968 Honda CB 350

rob@robrose.com
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 French Blue for Packard Victoria Super Eight Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Unless someone knows better, it looks like the last time that color was used was 1940 (see reference to the left). Possible someone special ordered it I guess. Validating original color should be easy with some sleuthing... i.e. behind door cards, hard to get to areas under hood and in trunk etc.
Mike

Posted on: 2021/12/28 7:55
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
French Blue in the 22nd series was available only on early convertibles. First offered in April 1947 with the introduction of the convertibles and discontinued in September 1947. This information from Bob Neal's book on the 22nd-23rd series Packards. Any formula from the era would be useless as most if not all of those pigments are NLA, but the major paint suppliers should be able to provide an equivalent.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it's not in the local parts store paint counter books, then the biggees like PPG, Axalta(DuPont) U have to be a certified dealer to access their archive databases. Most larger body shops might be, if they have the sign out front. Some parts stores handle but you have to search for them.
TCP Global is about the only open source and supplies paint and samples. There's a few others but I have no experience. TCP supports/has the auto color library. www.autocolorlibrary.com
After that, it's a spectrum gun paint sample and computer match.
I'm sure one can find something close in the modern colors to match a basic dark blue like that. The blues are usually phthalocyanine, copper, or cobalt based and still around. Just may have to spray out a few test panels til it's right.
Ditzler(DuPont Auto) supplied some of the paints in this period. Their name is on the color chips still out there. I've seen it, it might be on here.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 16:24
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved