Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 103

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 250 fuel pump kit
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Anyone know where I can get a dual action fuel pump rebuild kit for a 1952 200 with 327 engine? not sure if the 288 and 327 are the same pump? thanks

Posted on: 2022/1/13 16:31
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 250 fuel pump kit
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Both Max Merrit and Kanter sell rebuild kits, and also rebuilt pumps with exchange.

Posted on: 2022/1/13 16:55
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You could also try Then and Now Automotive.

Posted on: 2022/1/13 19:49
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Thanks for the response BDeb and JeromeSolberg, I left a message at Kanter and will check out "Then and Now".
The pump I have seems to be failing at low Idle when the car warms up. I see air bubbles in my aftermarket filter, and it starts to empty. sense I don't see any major leaks I suspect it's flowing back to the tank. if I give it gas it fills up and runs fine as long as the idle is up.
I'm also considering an electric pump with an oil safety switch. then converting the windshield wipers to electric. What Fun!

Posted on: 2022/1/14 7:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think just about everyone is dealing with this issue of aged technology, waning expertise, and modern fuel.
I just completed a electric pump conversion on the "C", because the new pumps are not quality. Production was moved to MX a couple years ago. I went through 4 units in a few months. So can't even depend on good parts any more. It also the "pump rod" design engine which is notorious.
Now I got a noise issue with the electric pump, so there's no magic solution. And I studied this fairly well before pushing the button. You can hide the relays etc, if you plan out the install. I already had an auxillary for the electric choke adn wipers when I converted to 3x2, so built off it. I'm not a fake original kinda guy. I dont; care if it's modified, so long as it's done well.
Make sure the tank and lines are in good condition, or you'll just mess up the carb next.

Posted on: 2022/1/14 9:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Thanks Jim,
Ya I've done this with my grandsons New Yorker and left a new mechanical pump in as a backup. it worked pretty well. I'm seriously thinking of just caping off the original on this one. Rebuilds are just too expensive and by what you're saying it sounds like not that reliable. just have to make sure the pressure is not too high.
Thanks for the info!

Posted on: 2022/1/14 10:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When you buy the kit, be sure to give them the number off the edge of the casting as there were two different types of rod connections to the arm. That number should tell the dealer which type you have.

Posted on: 2022/1/14 12:28
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
ok thanks

Posted on: 2022/1/14 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A mechanical fuel pump - whether single or double - when rebuilt by a reputable shop will be as good or better than the ones which were on the cars when they were new. How much do you plan on driving your Packard? With limited driving a rebuilt pump will probably out live you. An electric pump as a back-up for priming and helping with vapor lock may be used too.

Posted on: 2022/1/15 14:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved