Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

110 Special, engine oil question
Just popping in
Just popping in

RobS
See User information
Good evening all!

I have a 110 special, 1942 Clipper. I am looking at preforming it's first oil change under my ownership and was wondering if I could get some help what oil to use and if there was an oil filter on this model, I believe that I see one, but I am not 100%

If it does have an Oil filter, what partn number would i use to obtain a new one?

Attach file:

jpeg  9263830F-23DB-4B0D-BD18-C4C4E3087F54.jpeg (334.91 KB)
206608_621ab23430b88.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/2/26 18:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 110 Special, engine oil question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes it has an oil filter, that canister in front of the oil filler tube. Unscrew the nut on the top and lift out the old filter. The oil comes in from the outside of the filter dirty from the engine, passes through the filter walls and returns through the tube in the centre. In doing so there will be sediment build up in the canister's bottom. Try and wipe as much out as possible before inserting the new filter. Note too that there is a gasket that fits to the top you have removed. The filter will come with a new one to replace it. Check that there is no sediment or rust on the canister's top wall or the lids sealing surface so that you get a tight seal around the gasket. The filter is likely a C134PL Fram unit. I recommend 10w30 weight oil and I also recommend a couple of quick changes at about 500 miles. The oil has detergents in it and will loosen any sludge that may be in the engine. That is good but it can only carry so much. There is a slight risk of it clogging oil galleries if it gets to dirty so the quick changes will avoid this happening. As you cannot be sure how well it was taken care of in the past it is a cheap way to assure yourself of a good result. Track down your service manual for your car and read it well. There will be a large number of oil change protocols including greasing points and checks that you need to do to avoid any issues that could occur through ignorance. Enjoy your ride! We here in the frozen north are jealous!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/2/26 20:00
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The oil comes in from the outside of the filter dirty from the engine, passes through the filter walls and returns through the tube in the centre.

If it is an original prewar Packard accessory filter it will be just the opposite. Oil enters the center and exits the side port. If it is a Packard postwar filter maybe found and added by a previous owner or something a dealership sold after the war then the flow will be as was originally described with inlet on the side. Aftermarket filters were also available at just about every garage and half the corner gas stations. Flow on those are anyones guess.

It will be easy to check. The tube coming from the fitting at the bottom port on the drivers side of the block is the supply side tube and you can follow it up to the canister port. Usually the inlet or outlet functions are stamped on the metal a short distance away from the port.

Posted on: 2022/2/26 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

RobS
See User information
Thank you!!!

I’ll probably lean toward putting 10w30 ZROD AMSOIL in the car unless there are reasons other than the price.

I’ll order a filter asap and do as recommended. Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2022/2/26 21:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved