Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cloisonne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Having accumulated a few senior Clippers of late, I find that they seem generally to arrive short several of their hubcaps/wheel covers. The ones that do come are either of the poor condition cloisonne variety or of the generic stamped-n-painted type. When I find a cloisonne cap for sale for something remotely reasonable, I circle it like sharks in bloody water.

So, I suppose that my question is, does anyone make a good reproduction of these center sections? They do look nice on a good cover and the little splash of red is a nice trim feature.

Please, enlighten me.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 6:09
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Re: Cloisonne
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New manufacture cloisonne hub cap medallions for the 1946-1950 seniors and the 1933-39 Twelves are available from the IN region of the CCCA. Advertised regularly in the CCCA Bulletin, 317-225-0040.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Bill Hirsch has had them also. I believe that only Custom Supers had them, not Supers.They are not cheap.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Technically Packard used Champlevé emblems rather than Cloisonné but somehow the wrong name stuck and is what they are called. Similar but distinctly different process.

Anyway, Emblem Magic used to restore them but last I heard since Pati Fairchild bought the company a few years ago, they have not resumed that type of repair. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check.

I do have a couple wheel covers at my shop with the emblems and some loose emblems too but most of these others are in need or restoration too other than a nice pair of wheel covers with emblems for the 1951 Patricians.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have several ratty ones, suitable for drivers so one wouldn't be heartbroken should a wheel cover head for the ditch on a country road and not leave a forwarding address. I think that I have two presentable ones, maybe three.

I have a buddy in IN in the CCCA. I'll ask him. Wager he knows the guy.

My big coupe needs to get done right.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Technically Packard used Champlevé emblems rather than Cloisonné but somehow the wrong name stuck and is what they are called. Similar but distinctly different process.

Anyway, Emblem Magic used to restore them but last I heard since Pati Fairchild bought the company a few years ago, they have not resumed that type of repair. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check.

I do have a couple wheel covers at my shop with the emblems and some loose emblems too but most of these others are in need or restoration too other than a nice pair of wheel covers with emblems for the 1951 Patricians.

Yes, that is different.

Quote:
Champlevé is an enamelling technique in the decorative arts, or an object made by that process, in which troughs or cells are carved, etched, die struck, or cast into the surface of a metal object, and filled with vitreous enamel.

I wonder how to make my enamel vitreous . . . .

Posted on: 2022/3/26 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Not quite the same as the paint of the same name. Try this search for more information on the subject: Vitreous enamel - Wikipedia Lots of temperature is used to produce the final product [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitreous_enamel] I guess I need some training on how to copy a url, and paste it into a posting.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To paste a URL, just highlight the word(s) you want linked to it, then click on the little chain icon and paste the URL there. When saved, it wraps the link code around the text so you don't see the URL itself but rather it gives a nice link to it!

Posted on: 2022/3/26 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
PackardDon;
Thanks
dp

Posted on: 2022/3/26 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Vitreous enamel

I hope this works . . . .

BTW, my old computer died this morning. Like, dead dead. There is one thing about using Chromebooks. They know every keystroke. That's scary that Google knows that, but they don't want anyone else to know it, so there's that. And Wally's carries Chromebooks, so.

One day, I'll spring for a Mac.

Posted on: 2022/3/27 7:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved