Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1205 Door Restraining Strap
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information

Newbie here who posted the same question on the Packard Club fourm before becoming aware of this site. I'm looking at a 1935 1205 convertible sedan with the driver's side rear door retaining strap broken. Picture attached showing a piece of the strap sticking out of the center B pillar. How does one fix this? Must the B pillar and rear door upholstery panel and front seat be removed to get this done. How hard is it to do and is it a very time consuming task? Glen

Attach file:

jpg  Packard door strap.jpg (112.49 KB)
225495_6241ef3ac8f1c.jpg 900X1200 px

jpg  Packard door strap.jpg (112.49 KB)
225495_6241f0136493d.jpg 900X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/3/28 12:28
 Top  Print 

Re: 1205 Door Restraining Strap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have been working on my 35 1200 and the strap is held in by wood screws, unless the open car has a metal B pillar. So first step is to find an upholster with the skill to remove both the door and B pillar upholstery and replace it with outdamage (this might not be possible due to the tacks used to attach the material). Steele has the straps at minimal cost compared to the upholstery work.I will be home in two weeks if I can help with pictures

Posted on: 2022/3/28 15:55

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information

Thanks for your quick reply. Photos would be appreciated when you get a chance.  Looks like a more difficult job than I imagined.Glen

Posted on: 2022/3/28 16:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day glentre, to PackardInfo. I invite you, if you purchase the '35 1205 Convertible Sedan, to include it in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Also, my Mate Wade is restoring a '34 from the ground up and replaced the door straps in his Packard with ones from Steele Rubber. Click on this link to take you to a blog page to see some pic's of that installation.

Posted on: 2022/3/28 19:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information

Ozstatman,Thanks so much for directing me to a thread with photos on how the strap is installed and functions.  It looks like I'll have to remove the upholstery on the B column and on the door to install a new strap which will also require removing the front seat in order to get at the column upholstery.  Now, my dilemma is to understand just how the upholstery panels are removed so I don't damage anything in the process.Glen

Posted on: 2022/3/29 10:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
glentre,
for incuding your '35 Super Eight Convertible Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 12/21 23:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Looking at the condition of the carpet and panel that is showing in your photos, the interior has been redone. The type of connector is probably is one that pushes into the wood frame and is either made of steel (older restoration) or plastic (newer restore).

You should be able to slip a thin narrow putty knife between the frame and the door panel and move it up and down to locate them. Use one of the plastic trim removal tools made for the task. Make sure the tool slot straddles the connector. Be gentle prying the panel away. If you are not sure go to a auto upholstery shop and have them remove the panel,

Posted on: 12/25 10:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved