Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 130

William Grosz, BigKev, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mystery Cylinder Head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I have a mystery cylinder head and am hoping someone can help me identify it. It is an 8-cylinder 29-stud head. Markings are: P/No 367635. There is a casting tag “9 (dot) 27” with “PMC” immediately above it.
Has “HC’ above “PACKARD” on top where you would perhaps see “Thunderbolt” on other heads, so would be a High Compression version, which gives a bit of a hint I guess. No other markings.

Have looked carefully for any stamped numbers but found none. I would have thought there’d be something stamped (serial number?) to assist in identifying it. Have looked on packardinfo but haven’t found any info that really tells me which year the head is from.

Head is a little smaller than the other heads that I have off ’51 and ’52 288ci engines. It is 32-3/4inches long as opposed to 34-1/4inches for the ’51 heads. About ¼” narrower than the ‘51/52 heads.

The Part Number 367635 was used on a few different year-model straight Eight heads (- covering 1920’s to 1951) so that’s no help.

Can I assume the “9/27” means it was cast in September 1927?

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

Posted on: 2022/4/27 23:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Mystery Cylinder Head
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lee,

Rather than this: "Can I assume the “9/27” means it was cast in September 1927?". Being US terminology, much more likely just the 27th day of the 9th month.

And seeing the head is shorter than 288/327 heads it's probably fits a 282 ie a 120.

Posted on: 2022/4/28 0:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It is probably the HC head for the 1940-41 120 models, original pert number 351243 superseded by 367636
367635 is the casting number which is often within one digit of the number for the finished part.

Posted on: 2022/4/28 1:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks very much for your help with this. Certainly steers me in the right direction.

I might message someone I know who has a '41 and get them to measure the head on their car. That would hopefully make it conclusive.

Posted on: 2022/4/28 22:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Further to BDeB's comments, see this extract from the 35-41 Parts List.

Attach file:

jpg  InkedPARTS BOOK_LI.jpg (30.40 KB)
226_626b729e4cd9c.jpg 364X310 px

Posted on: 2022/4/29 0:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone take note of the reference to the reduced bore (2-7/8") 120 export engine in the parts list extract that Mal listed in the post just above? These rarely get any recognition but are an interesting part of the history of Packard's export business. I've got several issues of British magazines containing road tests of Packards with these reduced CID engines. Though not stated, I've always thought these cars were assembled at the Canadian Packard plant.

EDIT: Road tests appear in "The Autocar", August 9, 1935 and "the Motor" of April 28. 1936. Displacement is given as 3.668 liters.

Posted on: 2022/4/29 8:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved