Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Twin Ultramatic leaking
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
I recently purchased a 1956 Packard Patrician. My biggest issue right now is that the transmission fluid keeps leaking out. I do not have direct contact with the previous owner, however I was told that the transmission was rebuilt three years ago. I thought it was the transmission oil pan gasket, so I replaced that, but it looks like the fluid might be coming from the breather valve up above. My transmission rear seal is also leaking, so I need to replace that at some point. When replacing the transmission fluid we noticed that the dipstick does not go all the way down to the bottom of the tube. So my first question for the forum is, how long is the dipstick supposed to be? Mine is approximately 22 inches from the end to the stop near the top of the tube. Does this look like the correct dipstick? I'm just wondering, is it possible that I'm overfilling the transmission? I am filling the transmission so that it shows the correct level on the dipstick while running. However, while parked a lot of the transmission fluid comes out. If I check the transmission level while running after being parked it just touches the bottom of the dipstick. With the fluid at that level, the transmission still shifts through all the gears, however it makes a bit of a grinding noise when shifting to third. Thanks for any help.
-John

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3639.jpg (400.00 KB)
225379_629a0d26915bc.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_3640.jpg (394.77 KB)
225379_629a0d4d7ba12.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_3801.jpg (440.40 KB)
225379_629a0d5da5ff8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/6/3 8:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Twin Ultramatic leaking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
More is involved than dipstick length and asking others for their specific length may be problematic. If parts were exchanged or replaced over the years, it is possible a mismatch has occurred in your car. Check out the article in this service counselor to see if your combination is correct. The short fill tube has the top of the trans dipstick at about the same height as the engine dipstick while the long tube will be closer to the heater box.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL29NO3.pdf

Under certain driving conditions fluid could come out the breather so in the later trans Packard moved the breather to the tailshaft. There is an article in another counselor explaining that issue.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO9.pdf

Here is a photo of the short tube position.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2547.jpeg (85.61 KB)
209_629a1aeb66090.jpeg 810X1280 px

Posted on: 2022/6/3 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
To be certain of the fluid level, remove the small brass plug on the back of the case between the pan and where the tailshaft is bolted on, shortly after running the car. Allow the fluid to drain down to that level. Replace the plug and add one quart of the fluid back.

Posted on: 2022/6/3 10:09
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Wow, thank you both for the advice. Based on the measurements from the service counselor, and comparing to the photo of the short fill tube, I can see that I have the short dipstick as well as the short fill tube. So the good news is that I do not have a mismatch . Next I will follow Ross' advice to make sure that the level is correct. I think I need to spend more time under the car to really prove to myself where the leak is. I have not driven much because I don't want to cause damage to the transmission.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3802.jpg (262.28 KB)
225379_629a2e56c1c2d.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/6/3 10:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved