Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 356 lifter sticking
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
This is the engine that was almost stuck. I had to take it apart. after a fair amount of work i had the engine turning free. I had it running several times for about a half hour each time.2 cylinders had no compression. I thought it was 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve sticking. i removed the valve cover thinking maybe the springs broke. I found valves are moving freely but 2 lifters take a fair amount of force to push down all the way and are holding the valves open slightly. the lifters look nice and shinney what could be causeing this? I thought if i ran the engine they would come loose but after an hour of total run time still not going the last 1/8 of an inch.

Posted on: 2022/6/20 4:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 356 lifter sticking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Are you sure if it is the lifter not returning fully or if the valve has crud on its stem and won't return? In either case, I'd say that, barring mechanical interference under the lifter or between the lifter and valve stem, that it's likely some crud - whatever was binding the works to begin with - has left a bit of residue on either or both sticking items. It could also be some residue inside the lifter, I suppose.

I'd try shooting some carb cleaner on each of the offending parts and then work them back and forth. It may take several applications. Maybe some acetone if it doesn't work. Be sure to change the oil afterwards as some of that mess will likely get into the pan somehow or another.

Barring that, sounds like there will be some disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly.

Good luck with it.

e/t/a: It could be bent valve stems, too. I had two of those on the last set of 356 valves that I removed. Hope not.

Posted on: 2022/6/20 5:16
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
The lifter body is tight in the lifter bore. When i push down the lifter body the valve closes by itself. I have to use a pry bar to push it down

Posted on: 2022/6/20 5:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When a stuck valve is forced open by one of those hydraulic lifters the oil pressure within the barrel of the lifter skyrockets. That can cause them to permanently expand slightly and consequently jam in the bores.

You could try running the lifter up all the way and wrap a strip of 1000 grit paper around it and polish it down a tad.

Posted on: 2022/6/20 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Gee, that sounds like lotsa fun. I reckon that it beats tearing half the engine down - or a stick in the eye.

Posted on: 2022/6/20 16:23
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved