Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

29tons, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cluster lights 51 Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Hey Packard lovers. My 51 Pack 250 instrument cluster ( 3 clusters). I'm trying to figure out how many lights - light up my clusters. I assume two lights per cluster, meaning six total. My far right cluster (clock) I can see two lights (one on the left side and one on the right side working). The middle cluster -speedometer only lights up on the right side of the cluster and the far left cluster - fuel gage only lights up on the left side of the cluster. I have the 51-54 Packard service manual and the basic operating guide, but can't seem to find the answer. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/7/1 16:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Cluster lights 51 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lghts are fed from headlight switch and via a splice, the wire diagram shows it feeding 4 lights in the cluster

Attach file:

jpg  cluster lights.jpg (134.21 KB)
209_62bf66813492b.jpg 752X1162 px

Posted on: 2022/7/1 16:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Thanks Howard. I have this diagram in the shop manual but i'm scratching my head trying to figure it out, because I do not see a speedmeter cluster in the diagram??The red circles on the diagram it appears to indicate that there are only 4 lights in these clusters, but again i do not see the speedmeter cluster.

Posted on: 2022/7/1 17:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I drew the red circles just to show the location of the dash lights for you.

For whatever reason, from 51-53 using that style cluster they did not show even the outline of a speedometer. It is a wiring diagram so maybe understandable since there is nothing electrical directly connecting to the speedo. They did show a speedo outline for the 54 newer style clusters and continued it thru 56 but it was still not shown on the 54 clusters for those Clipper models which used the same earlier style cluster.

The hi beam and turn signal lights do show on the diagram in their approximate locations but those only shine thru physical holes with a red and amber color filter mounted on the underside of the speedometer face. The bulbs do not in any way electrically connect to the speedo so Packard probably felt no need to draw an outline of the speedo.

Posted on: 2022/7/1 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Again thanks. My hi beam and turn signal lights are present. So it sounds like there are only four cluster lights for the three clusters. The two lights for the clock are great, just not the one light for the fuel cluster and the one for the speed cluster. Oh well. I wanted to learn this prior to contacting my classic car mechanic here in Dallas, since I had new 6v wiring harnesses made in CA and my local mechanic (first time I used him) very recently installed these harnesses. My wiring was the orginal and all my lights were dim especially the cluster lights. David

Posted on: 2022/7/1 20:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 4 general illumination bulbs are actually shared by all the instruments because the inside of the cluster is open and will reflect and bounce light around. The way the illumination bulbs are positioned the clock and speedo each get benefit of two bulbs as does the temp and fuel gauges. While the fuel and temp gauges also have two bulbs the gauge that might suffer from a bit less illumination would be the fuel gauge. The temp gauge is between one bulb and the oil light position makes the other side illumination bulb farther away from the fuel gauge.

Posted on: 2022/7/1 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Again thanks, the speedmeter only has one light shining in it's cluster (on the right side of the cluster) same with the fuel and temp guage (on the left sie of the cluster). Sad, but now I know.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I must be missing something. Why not just put a new bulb in the holder at the left side of speedo and enjoy the light show. From your description that one is plainly burnt out or disconnected. What is to be sad about?? A #55 bulb will cost you all of a dollar.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 20:52
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Lol now I'm missing something. I thought based on the diagram there is only one light holder for the speedmeter, which is on the right side of the cluster. And only a total of four light for all three clusters. Money is not an object. The mechanic installed new wiring harnesses and I was just surprised that only one side of the speedmeter cluster lit up.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 21:14
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

51Pack
See User information
Ross, are you familiar with the these clusters? Are there 6 bulbs or 4 bulbs? Based on the way they look, to me, there should be 6 bulbs. but based on the diagram HH56 sent me there appears to be only 4 bulbs. I have this same diagram in my service manual, but the diagram does not show a speedometer just the fuel/temp cluster and clock cluster. I have crawed under there but its hard to see and tell. David

Posted on: 2022/7/4 13:11
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved