Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 48

Don B, Fish'n Jim, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trunk key
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pckrd320
See User information
I have a Tronick Tourist Trunk manufactured by the Stanley Baggage Co. It came without keys. Does anyone knows of a place that might be able to supply a blank key or given the WBW6 code a key that would fit?

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4799.jpeg (291.22 KB)
3076_62f2f7607d0b0.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  IMG_4788.jpeg (815.12 KB)
3076_62f2f770c667f.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/8/9 19:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk key
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Old hardware like that was usually not made by the trunk manufacturer. Generally it was made by a hardware company of the time like Eagle, Penn, or National. It's worth checking the Flat Steel section of the ILCO catalog for keys that match the profile, but for this one I didn't see any.

If that doesn't work, a good page to look at is:https://brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/keysfortrunks/

Simply Ctrl+F the key code gives some close results, but nothing exact. Seems the lock was made by Wheary/Corbin. Going back to the ILCO catalog, we look through the North American Cylinder section but unfortunately no blanks come up that would fit that keyway.

Knowing all this, the best advice I can give is to go to an OLD locksmith shop, not these newer places with websites and fancy vans, but a small place that's been there forever, and just ask if they can impression the lock from a blank key. This won't be cheap, but may also increase the value of the trunk by the same or more.

See also this topic:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25778'

Before you ask: yes, I was a lock nerd far before being a Packard enthusiast.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 21:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pckrd320
See User information
humanpotatohybrid:
Thank you for the information and suggestions on getting a key for this trunk. I got in touch with a key shop in Victoria, BC. They have a large inventory of old keys so it sounds promising

Posted on: 2022/8/10 18:17
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pckrd320
See User information
Success!
Price's Lock and Safe in Victoria BC opened the lock and cut a key. Cost was $30 (Can) Extra keys were $15.(Can) each, so I added a couple of extras.

Posted on: 2022/9/3 17:55
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I get a kick outta stories like this one.

Posted on: 2022/9/3 18:53
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Love it.

Posted on: 2022/9/3 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Glad it worked out for you. Nice feeling to be reminded that my old lock knowledge is at least not completely irrelevant, and can at least indirectly help someone out.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/9/3 21:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved