Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 105

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 trans issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
1941 with overdrive Transmission does not go fully into 1 st gear. The car has been sitting for 40 years and In the past I had a problem with gear oil almost turning into a glue and locking the shift lever in place. This seems different because I can move gear shift into every gear. First gear dose not fully in gage. I took both linkages loose at the trans and still not enough movement. Before i remove rug and top cover off trans is there anything else i could try? Also would the overdrive have anything to do with this issue?

Posted on: 2022/9/2 11:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 trans issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the long rods disconnected can you move the transmission levers an equal amount in either direction and feel a definite detent in all three positions? If not might be worth a look at the detent and interlock assy. Joe Santana has photos on his blog of what you might find if one or more of the positions has a shorter travel or you do not feel a detent.

If those are good did you check for wear on all the rod ends and bushings at linkage joints. Also, being a 41 have you verified it has had the change in bushings from rubber to steel. Deteriorating bushings was an issue back in the day and wear issues have continued even with the postwar models. Some of the early rod ends have been found worn down to half their normal diameter and each bit of play results in a shorter throw for the transmission levers.

Posted on: 2022/9/2 11:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I cannot feel the detent in first gear with both rods disconnected. And first gear dose not move an equal amount

Posted on: 2022/9/2 12:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Prewar transmissions had a problem with the detent block loosening where it bolted to the case. I think I would go ahead and look inside. Maybe if Joe sees this thread he will remember approximately where in his long blog the photos of his detent assy are located or give some better tips.

If not, as I recall, something in his trans was apparently worn or loosened and a detent ball popped out letting the detent spring come out as well. The spring became caught in a lever and was destroyed. Being out of place the spring was also interfering with the lever travel.

Posted on: 2022/9/2 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
that makes sense I will look into it the next chance I get. Thanks for the reply

Posted on: 2022/9/2 15:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I took the top off the trans cleaned and freed up the interlock all bearings are there. I noticed that the gear in front of the large sliding gear on the main shaft wobbles and I can tilt the gear sideways and see the bearing Im thinking the bearing needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend someone near Boyertown Pa. who can rebuild this

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_8835.JPG (101.05 KB)
3379_6314e983b04db.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_8839.JPG (165.26 KB)
3379_6314e9994a1f3.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_8831.JPG (165.37 KB)
3379_6314e9b48239b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_8842.JPG (160.94 KB)
3379_6314ea15cf406.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/9/4 13:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no one is closer Ross Miller's Speedwell Garage is around 100 miles away in Parkton, MD.

Posted on: 2022/9/4 14:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Just a suggestion. Consider joining AAA, if you are not a member already, with a Premier membership, about $150. License with an antique or historic vehicle designation and insure your car as such and drive as far as you dare toward Parkton, then call AAA. They will tow your car (up to 200 miles) to Speedwell Garage where Ross can repair it. Once it’s running reliably, maintain your AAA Premier membership. I’ve had mine since I’ve been driving and use it at least once a year for stupid things like running out of gas, but also for more serious things like a leaf spring popping out and pressing the hand brake cable, full sudden stop, Camas WA to Tigard OR, about 30 mikes.
Yes, I’ve paid a few thou over all these years (it used to cost $35, but worth for peace of mind, especially if you have passengers.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 8:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved